Sponsored by:

Considering stainless door sills - need some comments/advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 12:33 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Scott,

Mine is an U.S. car that never left Europe. The PO lived in Germany and is a personal friend of Alois RUF. Hence the work done in Phaffenhausen.

Ypu are correct about Weissach and now RUF Dallas as the U.S. outlets. However, the real RUF factory is in Phaffenhausen, Germany.

CP
Old 02-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Scott,

Mine is an U.S. car that never left Europe. The PO lived in Germany and is a personal friend of Alois RUF. Hence the work done in Phaffenhausen.

Ypu are correct about Weissach and now RUF Dallas as the U.S. outlets. However, the real RUF factory is in Phaffenhausen, Germany.

CP
I see . . . I guess it's nice to know people in high places. Your PO seems lucky there. So I wonder if that's why the Dallas RUF dealer and Weissach don't list this BTR-2 conversion as available?? Maybe it was a special version that Alois arranged for a friend?? Do you know of any other cars like yours . . . or is it the only one? Or, is this a common conversion is Europe?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-08-2006, 03:33 PM
CP
Race Director

Scott,

A little history: Porsche 993tt did not come out until 1996 while the 993 was available from 1994 on. RUF did the BTR (single turbo) package to satisfy the regular 993 owners. It was big bucks ($58k retail) as RUF practically fabricated everything in the engine bay (turbo, inter-cooler, additional oil cooler, etc.), new Motronic ECU, wiring harness, transmission, etc. The list goes on and on

When the 993 tt came out, the tt came with a lot of parts that RUF can use, and RUF introduced the Turbo-R and CTR (twin turbos) and only charged $28k for the conversion.

Years go by and fewer folks buy the BTR as for the same bucks, they can buy a 993tt or the Turbo-R package. Thus today, RUF does not stock the BTR package anymore. But knowing RUF, if one pays enough, they will build you anything your heart desires. That's why I said, 'theoretically' you can upgrade to a BTR. Realistically, it's cheaper to buy a 993tt and get the Turbo-R or CTR package instead.

CP
Old 02-08-2006, 03:36 PM
CP
Race Director

Scott,

A little history: Porsche 993tt did not come out until 1996 while the 993 was available from 1994 on. RUF did the BTR (single turbo) package to satisfy the regular 993 owners. It was big bucks ($58k retail) as RUF practically fabricated everything in the engine bay (turbo, inter-cooler, additional oil cooler, etc.), new Motronic ECU, wiring harness, transmission, etc. The list goes on and on

When the 993 tt came out, the tt came with a lot of parts that RUF can use, and RUF introduced the Turbo-R and CTR (twin turbos) and only charged $28k for the conversion.

Years go by and fewer folks buy the BTR as for the same bucks, they can buy a 993tt or the Turbo-R package. Thus today, RUF does not stock the BTR package anymore. But knowing RUF, if one pays enough, they will build you anything your heart desires. That's why I said, 'theoretically' you can upgrade to a BTR. Realistically, it's cheaper to buy a 993tt and get the Turbo-R or CTR package instead.

I am actually convinced that my BTR is the only one in the world like that. In the sense that it is a legal U.S. spec 993 with the conversion done in Germany, with titanium innerds, Recaro A-8s, and a gold RUF insignia package. There are other BTRs around (mostly on foreign soils), but none like mine (at least as to what I know).

CP
Old 02-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Wow . . . cool info . . . thanks for the history. I love this place.

Looks like the BTR is not going to happen for Scott.

If you ever get tired of your car . . . well . . . you know where to find me.

Scott
Old 02-08-2006, 05:14 PM
CP
Race Director

Scott,

I sure do, my favorite local 'toe' shop, of course.

CP
Old 02-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CP
Scott,

I sure do, my favorite local 'toe' shop, of course.

CP

Scott
Old 02-08-2006, 07:46 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a slightly different approach - does anyone make black plastic door sills like the stock ones, but with custom lettering? Obviously it would have to be flat unlike the stock pieces, but it would be best to avoid adding weight to the car if possible Even though it's not much weight, just the idea of adding instead of subtracting weight seems... wrong! haha
Old 02-08-2006, 08:52 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Here's a slightly different approach - does anyone make black plastic door sills like the stock ones, but with custom lettering? Obviously it would have to be flat unlike the stock pieces, but it would be best to avoid adding weight to the car if possible Even though it's not much weight, just the idea of adding instead of subtracting weight seems... wrong! haha
Pcar, the ebay guy also has negative versions (black with silver lettering).
Old 02-09-2006, 02:37 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Any chance the ebay guy can do carbon fiber ones like ones Porsche has for the Boxster and 996? If not, does anyone know of someone who can? Can't be that hard to make.

Although no real benefits over stainless steel, my car could use some more carbon fiber bling
Old 02-09-2006, 03:29 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by David in LA
Any chance the ebay guy can do carbon fiber ones like ones Porsche has for the Boxster and 996? If not, does anyone know of someone who can? Can't be that hard to make.

Although no real benefits over stainless steel, my car could use some more carbon fiber bling
Hey David -

I can't recall seeing any true CF sills . . . but I bet if they were available, they'd be costly. Elke at Cup-Sport in Germany has the stainless sills with a carbon look finish. I've never seen these, nor do I understand what they do to get the carbon look on them . . . also . . . no affiliation, etc., etc.

Scott
Old 02-09-2006, 06:22 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Scott - I actually have a set of carbon fiber sills sitting in the garage...finish is good except the sills don't curve around the front...just lies flat. May just install these if I don't find anything else, or maybe just stick with what I have now and throw these on ebay
Old 02-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Scott - I actually have a set of carbon fiber sills sitting in the garage...finish is good except the sills don't curve around the front...just lies flat. May just install these if I don't find anything else, or maybe just stick with what I have now and throw these on ebay
David - I know what you mean about that curve. Better to have it, if you can.

Scott
Old 02-09-2006, 04:26 PM
dytonaed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys guys the way to take of the left over glue is to use WD-40. It works great. Keep this in mind for any other jobs where you need to remove unwanted glue. Once all the glue is off then use the alcohol to remove any oil residue.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GEMBALLA USA has a set of CF for 993s but of course it says GEMBALLA.

Quick Reply: Considering stainless door sills - need some comments/advice