993 Forum 1995-1998

Purchasing out of state car... logistics

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 02:59 PM
notbostrom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing out of state car... logistics

In my search for a 993 I have found several. All unfortunatly are out of state. What is the easiest way to drive it home. I assume I would have to buy a tag in what ever state I bought it in then drive it home. I live in Florida and I wouldn't be able to get a FL tag for it without the title so I would have to own the car first. But it aslo seems like a waste to pay for an out of state tag only to switch it to Florida a couple days later. What do folks do in these cases?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:14 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty certain most states will allow a temporary permit for a few weeks that allow you to drive it out of the state... check with the local DMV website.

I bought my kid hauler in Las Vegas and drove it back to CA... I just had to have a little red sticker on the front windshield indicating a temporary permit to drive in Nevada.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:15 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about Florida, but most states place a temporary tag in the windshield or on the rear license plate holder for new/used car sales. Usually you don't pay for the tag until registered.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:16 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

In many (most?) states you can get temporary/transit tags. I bought my car in Florida last April. The seller and I went to the license bureau with the paperwork. I had to pay my home state sales tax in Florida (for which I recieved a credit back in MN - net cost zero) and a nominal amount for temp tags which were good for 30 days - ample time to drive home.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:32 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always take a plate with me, take the insurance and title for the car associated with that plate, and put that plate on the car I bought when I get there. I then have the bill of sale and/or the title of the new car with me and an insurance doc from my insurance because I buy insurance for the new car. For some reason I don't care to drive with temp plates, and the only cop I ever asked said that he would not have a problem with the way I did it. Besides, I don't think the DMVs are open on the weeknds when I usually do my thing, the lines would be gross if they were, and complying with every little law out there is not my stlye. Get your xm, your radar detector, driving gloves, spare dme, credit card, cell phone, and a grocery sack full of clothes and food and go for it.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Jack Esposito
Instructor

I live in Washington state and bought my car in California from a private party. I got a temporary permit from my home state but they didn't think it would be good in California or Oregon. In WA the plate belongs to the individual car and not the person, so you can't switch plates and be legal. I flew down to LA and picked up my C4S with only a rear expired California plate on it. Drove home along the coast highway without being stopped, even though I was followed by the California State Patrol for a short distance. My insurance company said I was covered once I bought the car. California tried later on to get me for sales tax, that I had already paid to Washington state. My backup to the license was to borrow a plate from a repair shop and have a work order in hand saying I was transporting the car to the shop to be checked out.
Enjoy the trip home with your new Porsche!!!

Jack
Old 02-06-2006, 04:59 PM
notbostrom
Instructor

called the the state dmv's where the cars are locate. both states offer 30 day temp tags to get it home. One of the states didnt even require I change the title till I get home !!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 05:40 PM
993inNC
Race Car

aspire to be Eric Bostrom do you?
I bought my car in Boston and drove it home on the PO's plate and then sent it back when I got it home. We both had it insured until I got it here, worked fine.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

You can probably get a temporary tag from your state. That's what I did when I drove my 993 back from Florida to TX. It cost $25 and was good for (if I remember right) one month.

Get from the state in which you will be registering the vehicle and paying the sales tax. You will not pay any sales tax out of state.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:38 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Dealer supplied.

I bought a car in Texas in October and drove it back to Kansas. Upon arrival, the car had a paper Texas dealer plate installed that was good for 30 days. I'd try to remove any personal aggravation of making calls and just verify with the dealer that they will supply it.

If purchased from an individual, it becomes more complicated. Are you thinking dealer or individual?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:52 PM
notbostrom
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993inNC
aspire to be Eric Bostrom do you?
I bought my car in Boston and drove it home on the PO's plate and then sent it back when I got it home. We both had it insured until I got it here, worked fine.
No, I just happen to be another "Ben" who races. NotBostrom is a nickname I sadly aquired after a crash in the chicane at Daytona....
Old 02-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

With the several cars (new and used) I've purchased over the years from OH, NJ, and NY to bring into PA to register, I haven't done anything preliminarily in PA. I've traveled with a temporary plate purchased at the dealer I got the car from, then done the registration at a "tag" shop in PA (generally, any auto dealer although recommend going to an actual PA gummint run shop when dealing with out -of-state vehicles). Sales tax is paid in state where car is registered, NOT where purchased.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Chameleon
6th Gear

I recently concluded a year search in which I found my car out of state. The seller worked out an arangement with a local dealer to do the paper work, and I had a temp tag issued in that state for 30 days. After an extensive search for a car transportation company, I had it shipped to my home with no issues...very satisfied. In order for my to get tags in the state I live I had to do the following things:

1) state safety inspection (not all states require)
2) insurance
3) proof of ownership, paper work that showed I recently purchased out of state
4) paid the local sales tax, and title transfer, and registration...

Good to drive..
Old 02-07-2006, 02:32 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought two cars out of state, one new, one used. New one is easy, I got a temp tag from the dealer and registered it when I got home. Need the Certificate of Origin from the Mfg.

The used one - I paid the cash, took the title, drove it home. In CA, you have 20 days to notify and begin the registration process. Very simple.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:50 AM
911nut
Advanced

I have bought numerous cars and brought them back to CA. Buy the car, drive it home with whatever plate, if any, is on the car. I always get a signed title and a separate bill of sale from seller. I have never been stopped or questioned. CA gives plenty of time to register once the car is here. One time, it took almost a month to ship a car, still no problem with registration...they just want their sales tax.

Quick Reply: Purchasing out of state car... logistics