Stupid Question: Where to store Jack/Tool Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 08:04 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Stupid Question: Where to store Jack/Tool Kit

Ok Guys don't flame me too much:
I have been romoving a lot of stuff from the car to shed weight (Swapped to GT3 Seats, trunk carpet gone, RS Reservoir going in, RS Heater Pipe, etc etc)
SO, I have removed the trunk carpet as stated above...and now I am stuck with wondering where to store the factory tool kit and the factory Jack/Crank. My jack is in a florescent green baggy (Not sure if this is factory or not, but I am doubtful) I just want the boot to be nice and tidy, but having the jack, toolkit AND owners manual all jammed down inside the spare tire. ANy recommendations for the stock placement of these peices? Please advise! Thanks guys, sorry for the dumb post, but it's bothering me! Pics would be great too!
ADAM
Old 02-05-2006, 08:44 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The green bag is factory, and should fit in the pocket forward of the trunk (boot) carpet. The black bag usually goes in the strap on the backside of the carpet (forward most). You may want to box it all up and bolt it in with the spare?
Old 02-05-2006, 08:53 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

I thought that little pouch in the carpet was for the manual....but I suppose that should go in the glove box...no? WHat do you mean "box it up and bolt it in with the spare? Confused!"
ADAM
Old 02-05-2006, 08:58 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay now Im confused. You should have a leather "pouch" that unfurls (sp.?) and reveals the factory tools. The only other leather pouch is a book sized cover that houses the owners manuals that go in the glove box. Your jack is in the green bag.....yes? no?
I'm suggesting you find either a metal or plastic box to place in the spare well, that you could bolt down, that would carry the jack and tools if you are taking away the carpet where they now live.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:10 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Thanks Chris....in the car WITH carpet, the jack is meant to go inside that pouch though...ok. And the tools in teh nook in the front of the boot. And the manual in the glovebox.....sounds good.
ADAM
Old 02-06-2006, 11:45 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The best place to store your jack is on the shelf in your garage. I would never ever consider putting my (and my car's) safety at risk from that pathetic POS jack. I just sucked it up and bought AAA. Or buy a better jack off ebay from any old car. Just please don't ever use your factory jack.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:13 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

Adam, it is interesting that you posted this. I was cleaning my trunk area a couple of weeks ago and decided to remove the spare tire, tool kit and jack to clean underneath. I had never bothered to do this before. I had realized for a long time that the jack and toolkit were in the wrong place- they were tucked in front of the spare tire and held in place by it. What I didn't realize was that the tire was bolted in with a 19mm wrench that is only in the toolkit! The is no way to remove either item without removing the spare tire. Which means that if I had ever had a flat or emergency, ie fan belt issue, I wouldn't have been able to get out either the jack or the toolkit. Lesson learned. The PO did this for a reason I cannot figure out.... I am going to reinstall the equipment in its proper place from now on!

BTW, I second what Eric had to say about the factory jack. It is dangerous! On my previous 911s, I went out to a junkyard and bought a more stable scissor jack (I think from an older Mercedes) and wrapped it in a towel and placed in the trunk. I need to do this for my 993 since I am often driving where there is little hope of AAA.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:58 PM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default factory jack

I tried to use it recently...it's worthless and could kill you.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:06 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Wierd...do we have the same jack? Mine is super stable!
ADAM
Old 02-06-2006, 05:13 PM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default well...

.....perhaps in my case the level concrete slab, the 993, and the "jackee" were super unstable.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:16 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Hahahaha!
ADAM
Old 02-06-2006, 06:45 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the jack came in the green bag from the factory? That thing is Ugly!
I was about to toss it, guess it's worth keeping. Agree on the jack as it looks pretty unstable. I nice scissors jack would be an improvement...
Old 02-06-2006, 06:46 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What does the wheel lug wrench look like? I don't seem to have one (newly acquired '95). Thanks.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:02 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Adam,

What is the root reason to lighten your car: track? If it is track, obviousely you can claer everything out of the trunk on track day. If you want a permanently-lightened car, then that's a different matter.

However, if track is the reason, then you should consider other items - mainly safety, much more than just lightening up the car. After seeing some of the stuff that can happpen on track, I'd suggest you consider full cage, 5/6 point harness, and a fire system. Unfortunately, all those will more than make up the weight you deleted as described above.

CP

Quick Reply: Stupid Question: Where to store Jack/Tool Kit