Sponsored by:

DIY oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question DIY oil change question

Today was nice and warm in Ottawa, so I did my first oil change using the DIY instructions on p-car. It took 3.5 hours, but I was using a scissor jack, and it took me a while to find the crankcase plug. Faster next time. Happy to report it all went fine.

Here's a question - the first panel that you move to get access to the oil tank drain plug, do you completely remove that panel right up the the front wheel? That was the impression I got. I could not get mine to un-clip once I had the screws and 10mm fasteners out. I didn't want to risk creasing the plastic to try to get it out, so I just let it hang down along the edge of the rocker panel. Oil splashed on it as it was draining, but no biggie. I was wondering if anybody only opens the small 3" x 3" port that directly accesses the drain plug, and accesses the tank filter by only loosening the wheel well cover. IE do you really have to loosen that long peice of plastic that runs along the side of the car from the front wheel the the rear wheel?

thanks,
Paul
Old 02-05-2006, 08:52 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No just take the small access cover off, thats all you need. And yes on the inner wheel cover to get to the filter. Congrats though on the problem free DIY
Old 02-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Cannock
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a tip from my mechanic and drilled a hole in the panel below the drain plug so that I could take out the plug and get it drained without taking the panel off. It made of plastic so it is easy to drill out and since it is underneath the car you cannot see the hole. .

Shawn
Old 02-06-2006, 01:50 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I always remove the rocker panel completely for oil changes. Given the angle oil drains out, and how this angle changes as the oil level decreases, I would be surprised if oil didnt find its way all over the insides of the rocker cover. Big mess!

I think you couldnt remove the rocker cover because you may have missed two plastic nuts located inside the wheel well, one front and one rear. These fasten onto studs that are screwed into the rocker cover itself and point inwards. You'll see them next time

Congrats on your oil change. The next one will go much faster, prolly half the time.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I think you couldnt remove the rocker cover because you may have missed two plastic nuts located inside the wheel well, one front and one rear. These fasten onto studs that are screwed into the rocker cover itself and point inwards. You'll see them next time

I'll have a look, Chris, thanks. There seem to be wedge shaped peices along the outside edge of the long plastic panel. The rear-most one came out easily but I could not get the rest to budge. So my panel was hanging down, still attached along the outside edge but free on the inside edge. How do you remove those? In what direction do you put force?

thanks,
Paul
Old 02-06-2006, 11:02 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

There are little plastic tabs that fit into slots along the lower sill area of the sheetmetal. Sometimes these tabs do stick or at least a little tricky to work loose.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:27 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since original question was on a widebody - yes, the rocker panel is different and has that small approx 3" square access cover.
When I do mine, I only remove that access cover (oil drains out of drain plug through that with little/no mess), and only loosen the inner fender well to pull it back against tire, to access the filter.
I have three oil changes under my belt now and they are getting quicker and cleaner.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:29 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you read most of the DIY instructions I have seen they first assume narrow body, but then may have a footnote later for "Turbo" - should say Turbo or 2S/4S widebody
Old 02-06-2006, 12:37 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I totally agree with BIG-BRO and 993inNC if you have a Factory wide body then all you need to do is remove the 2 screws that hold the access plate underneath the rocker to drain the Oil tank. You still need to remove the rear wheel and inner wheel liner to get to the Filter. But you shouldn't have to remover the rocker panel at all.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my '95 I don't remember any 3" X 3" port, so the entire rocker panel is removed, along with the two wheel well liners. Allows me pretty clear access to the aluminum drain plug and the oil filter and reduces my chances of creating an "Exxon Valdez" oil flood in the garage.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Well, come next oil change I will try using the "inspection port" and see how it goes. I know exactly where you mean in the DIY, Big-Bro, I glossed right over that and didn't see that it was for C4S as well. If I make a mess, then the time after that I will try to remove the whole rocker panel plastic again.

thanks everyone!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:31 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Paul, glad to see you attempting this stuff yourself, it helps you get to know your car that much better.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Hey Carm, nice to read you!

Yeah it was good to do the oil change. Last year I did suspension work, but this was my first oil change. Hope things are going well with you and I'll see you at the track come summer.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change question