Updated: Vertex HID Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 12:30 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcoll1
I hope this pic uploads,
I mounted mine in the same place and had no issues with wire length. My only issue was that my driver's side bulb was bad - easily resolved with a phone call.

Did you touch your halogen bulbs with your bare hands? The oils in your skin can cause failure.

Did you clip the brown wire (ground to headlight housing?) or just pull it off? I just pulled mine off to retain originality - I can switch back to halogens in an emergency.

Hope this helps - don't give up so easily as the light output from these lights is truely amazing. I'm going to buy another set (if they are adaptable) for my WRX daily driver!
Old 02-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not giving up, just going to see if Vertex will send me longer wires before splicing into the ones from the Kit. I'm not sure why the wires are too short on some cars & not on others.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Default Update

I spoke with Mike at Vertex this morning. The cables were definitely shorter in my kit than they were supposed to be. Vertex is sending me longer replacement cables today.

I mentioned the group buy & they said they would check all the kits that have not shipped yet. Vertex service was great, if you run into any problems, call them & they will make it right.

I'll post an update when I get the new cables & install.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:40 PM
jcoll1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian, Thanks for the update!!! I will contact Vertex and get longer power leads.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:55 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=gordo993]

Did you touch your halogen bulbs with your bare hands? The oils in your skin can cause failure.
QUOTE]

good point ...

however ....

you can touch with your hands if you clean with alcohol or another solvent before you turn on the bulbs ... sometimes is almost impossible do not manipulate the bulbs with other than your bare hands. Just clean the bulbs and presto.

Brian !!! kill the problem and show us the new lights !!!!!

Last edited by eloyex; 02-06-2006 at 04:57 PM. Reason: add !!
Old 02-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Brian !!! kill the problem and show us the new lights !!!!!
As soon as I get the updated wires from Vertex, I will install & post pics. "Patience Grasshopper!"
Old 02-07-2006, 12:17 PM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted my ballasts in the fenders and used industrial velcro to mount them. On the passenger side, I put the ballast on top of the plastic piece which seals the fender from the wheel well. On the driver side I mounted it to the under side of the top of the fender, i.e. on the metal. Checked them a couple of weeks ago and they are still firmly mounted.

Had a friend go to a high quality independent shop to mount his Phillips kit. They put the ballasts in the fenders on the trunk side. They were tucked in behind the oil tubes.

I took the end of the brown wire out of the existing female end and joined it with the black wire from the Vertex kit and put a new female end on. That way I didn't cut any wires and can easily go back to halogen (not that I would want to).
Old 02-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Update: I got the new wires from Vertex & everything fits fine. I just completed the install for both sides in 30 minutes. It's VERY simple. The lights look great. I'll post pics later today or tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Updated: Vertex HID Install