Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler control - why can't we do it this way...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:38 PM
cowtown
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler control - why can't we do it this way...

I was finishing up my OBC tachometer retrofit this evening and got to thinking about the spoiler control module. I understand from reading other posts here that the module is not simple to "hack" for different activation speeds, leading a bunch of people to buy the RUF module to get deployment at 70 instead of 45-50mph. Great solution, but very expensive.

There is a speed signal behind the instrument cluster that feeds the OBC and the analog speedometer. It's very easily accessible, and is *I think* just a pulsed square or sine wave that varies in direct proportion to speed (can someone confirm this?).

Why can't we build a box that uses this speed signal to control the spoiler relay directly, and bypass the module? It would probably trip the warning lamp, requiring the same p-car.com fix as installing a fixed wing.

I want to run this by a couple EE friends of mine who could design such a circuit, but they don't know the specifics of 993s. If they can come up with a schematic, I could build it and test.

Is there an obvious reason this wouldn't work?

Thanks,
Colin
Old 01-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Colin- contact Marc Shaw or garrett376 on the 964 board. Both have modified their spoiler units and Marc even installed some sort of override switch on his dash.

c

Quick Reply: Spoiler control - why can't we do it this way...