Sponsored by:

Water leak advice ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 05:05 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
Question Water leak advice ...

Doing a mini-detail last night I came upon a soaking wet foam liner under the rear carpets on the drivers side. The foam is pretty much rotted away, suggesting I have had this for some time.

I can not find any evidence this is not just coming up from the bottom, even though most archived threads suggest I need to be looking 'skyward' at rear window seals, plugged sunroof drain channels etc. So, a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone out there had a leak from the bottom only, and if so what source?

2. Can I just pop off those two metal 'paint-can-tops' in the floor panel from the inside with a screwdriver and remount them with some new sealant?

Thanks as always ...
Old 01-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a leak and the front carpets were soaked. usually leaks come in from the windshield (front or rear) as leaks (and rust) can be an issue with 993's. Or its possible the AC is not draining.
I doubt its coming from the bottom.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Check your radiator. Sorry, had to say it.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:38 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Doug: I had a similar problem to yours about a year ago year and noticed it 1 week after I had purchaced my 95 C2 from a Porsche Dealer in Bellingham; they were very good about it and fixed it at their own cost. My leak was in the Right Rear Passenger Foot well. They threw out the old wet foam and dried it up first so you should see just your Metal floor board and then jacked up the car and put a water sprinkler underneath the the car close to the area of the leak to try to locate the leak; it took them 3 days to find the leak. Per the Mechanic there, apparently it was a seam where the rear wheel well butted up to the floor. They found it and sealed it up with Silicon/sealant. I drove around in the rain for a couple of weeks to test it before they finally got me a replacement foam pad from Germany and restored it back to original form.

Scott

P.S. By the way, a friend of mine up in Vancouver says he often sees your beautiful car in Vancouver in the Morning as he goes to work - Yours is the one with the Tail Wall with "Porsche" on it right?
Old 01-29-2006, 05:19 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Scott ... thanks for the hint ... I hope to discover something that straightforward because once you start having to look at window seals it can be a tough mystery to solve :-) For now I have dried it all up and taken out the foam pad. I am going to try and use paper towel or blotter paper to pinpoint the exact entry point and go from there.

Yes, that's probably me on my daily commute as the C4S is my regular ride. As you know since you are in Seattle, I am going to have lots of opportunity to test for leaks during what seems to be the endless rains here in the Pacific Northwest :-(

Regards,
Old 01-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Me too!

Hi,

I have the same issue, in the same place. I never take the car out when it is raining or if rain is forecast, but the occasional time I get caught out. Last year it rained for 2 days of my first DE. We drive with the windows open. When I got home I was wiping down the back and noticed the left rear passanger carpet was wet. I let it air out and figured it was rain water through the window, but was suspicious since both windows were open and only one side got wet. Then later in the summer I was caught in the rain on a regular drive (with the windows up) and again, sure enough, the pad on that side was wet. I took it right out so as not to hold the moisture there. It is on my list of things to investigate before spring. I think I'll try the sprinkler method that was mentioned.

Blackbird, do you have any further details on what kind of silicon/sealant was used? Did they apply inside or outside the car?

thanks,

Quick Reply: Water leak advice ...