Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Question (Followup)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006 | 02:19 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Arrow Stereo Question (Followup)

SO, I am gonna do some stereo enhancements in my car. I have purchased the Boston Acoustic Z6 components (got a GREAT deal as the MSRP of $1200 was quite high!) and NOW I need to know which amp to get. I dont want ot spend TOO much. It needs to be 4 channel. I am EVENTUALLY going ot be installing those "behind the seat" subwoffer enclosures with 2 8" subs. SO I want the ONE amp to power the two 8's and the set of Z6 components. Can you guys tell me:
a) What size/brand amp is the best for my setup (I mainly listen to rock, so I dont want KILLER BASS, but FILLER BASS.
b) How much do you think I can get for my Nokia Premium sound equipment after I uninstall it?

THANKS!
ADAM
Old 01-28-2006 | 10:23 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adams993
b) How much do you think I can get for my Nokia Premium sound equipment after I uninstall it?
Probably not enough to cover your eBay listing fees. Most people just give this stuff away.

Jason
Old 01-28-2006 | 11:34 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Check w/ Rod Birch...one of his recommendations when I spoke to him some time back was an Audison 4 or 5 channel amp which was able to fit under the passenger seat - a big plus IMHO. The Nokia premium sound is not worth that much...maybe $75-100 but you find a gullible buyer.
Old 01-28-2006 | 10:34 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Buy as much power as you can afford, but clean power. An underpowered amp will kill your speakers quicker than one with clean power. Head room is what you want.

Many of the high quality amps will 'SEEM' lower power rated, but are actually much better amps than lessor high power rated ones. Xtant is a good example, but I'm biased. Audison is a good amp also. If you get a 4 channel, you can bridge it for now, and power the subs later. That WAS my plan, but I decided to go with a second as the Focals sound so friggin good, I don't want to 'steal' any power from them. It's like a disease.

Whatever you do, anything is better than stock. I was shocked by how much better the stereo in my wifes Audi was than the 993. It was embarassing to hear my wife (who always thought I spent waaay too much on audio) say the Porsche stereo sounded like crap. Quite frankly, I couldn't stand it. I tried to get by by telling myself "This is a driving machine, not a listening room," but that lasted only so long. I can't sing for crap, but I was starting to listen to myself sing more than listening to the stereo. Trust me, that isn't good.

Quick Reply: Stereo Question (Followup)