Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006 | 01:11 PM
marcelo
7th Gear

Question Install new clutch

I need to know wich is the best way to do a clutch.taking the engine out,or just pull the transmission alone, i have no problems in doing either one,but i heard that doing the transmission alone is less time but is a little bit more complicated
Old 01-27-2006 | 01:43 PM
tbil
Racer

No first hand experience here but the P car shop I used recently just pulled the transmission. Said they can do it quicker that way on a C2. C4 I understand complicates things a bit. Others I'm sure can provide first hand experience.
Old 01-27-2006 | 01:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Marcelo:

If your car is a 2WD model, the transmission can be removed with the engine intact to service the clutch.

4WD cars must have the engine & transmission removed as a unit to do the same thing.
Old 01-27-2006 | 02:07 PM
marcelo
7th Gear

by the way ,My is a 1995 993C2
Old 01-27-2006 | 07:44 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

If you are doing this in your own garage with the car balanced on jackstands and this is your first time than pull both the engine and the tranny together. I've tried both methods and until I have a two-post hydraulic lift and a proper transmission stand I will stick with removing them together. With jackstands you'll have maybe a foot and a half of clearance between the floor and the bottom of the car, you need something supporting the engine and you'll need another stand for the transmission. There just isn't much room to work on anything. If you pull the transmission by itself its not really that much quicker and trying to mate the transmission to the engine becomes a LOT more difficult than it needs to be. There are a post or two from people on Rennlist that ended up dropping the engine after they gave up trying to mate the two with engine still in the car. The only disadvantage to pulling both is you need to drain the oil and recheck the rear alignment.

Quick Reply: Install new clutch