Sponsored by:

New door sills installed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 02:34 AM
Bogwan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New door sills installed...

Yes, I know my photography sucks! But I'm very happy with these sills, and wanted to show you guys.
Attached Images   
Old 01-26-2006, 02:41 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Wow!! Those look great! Where did you find them?

Another thing to add to the slope to make just a bit more slippery!
Old 01-26-2006, 02:51 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,

That's Kuul with the "911" and the crest. What material is that? and do they come in other finishes? Looks good braddah.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:55 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Those sills look very nice...good job on the install

On a related topic, some time back someone was thinking of fabricating some carbon fiber sills like the OEM ones made 996s - does anyone know what ever happened to that project (I forgot the Rennlisters name who was looking into it)? I would ditch my stainless steel sills for a set of carbon fiber ones
Old 01-26-2006, 03:00 AM
Bogwan
Racer

These were made by a gentleman that sells 'Porsche sills' on ebay for $67.50(no affiliation, blah, blah). I contacted him through e-bay, to see what options he had, and he got right back to me. Mine are what he calls negatives(mostly black with stainless lettering showing through) or he has positives (the opposite). He states he has lots of artwork, so I think you can get whatever you want, the little crests are extra (I think $10). He was extremely helpful and prompt with his service. The photo doesnt do them justice.

Just do the 'porsche sills' search on ebay, and look for $67.50 buy it now.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:05 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Thanks Greg... BTW, I grew up in Federal Way, WA.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:01 AM
dhicks
Drifting

The guys name is Harvey, I have bought three sets from him (all for different cars - 951, 968 and 933)...I can only speak with this "limited" experience but he is great in customer service and his products are very good quality and last.....no affiliation blah blah
Old 01-26-2006, 09:09 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Default Carrera Sills

Carrera Sills form Harvey...sorry for poor pic....I have the black version ... to go with black car....
Attached Images  

Last edited by dhicks; 01-26-2006 at 09:11 AM. Reason: hit send too early!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:41 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bogman -

Those are awesome! Did you have any issues getting the other ones off (and the adhesive)?

Just when I think I can resist adding something to the mod list.....
Old 01-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you give us any info on the trials and tribulations of the install process?

Was it hard to remove the gunk from the original sills?

Thanks. Marc
p.s. They look great.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:05 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Regarding Harvey's pic: I understand that you should not run tape lengthwise like "Harvey" shows. I guess water could get stuck in there, then you-know-what happens. Instead, I'm told you should use several lateral strips of that spongy double-sided tape. Just a thought.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:07 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Makes sense.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:20 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I agree and the ones I have put on in the past I have cut gaps prior to fixing to car for exactly that reason.....however, when I looked at it last time I wonder if it was over kill as there is a gap front and back so as you accelerate or brake water would be moved to the ends and escape...that being said I still cut gaps at the half way points to assist....
Old 01-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Bogwan
Racer

Tony, I worked in Federal way for 9 years at the Ford dealer there.

As far as the install, the old double sided tape is the part that seems to give everyone the problems(from old searchs I did), I also had trouble, tried heat gun tried WD40 with putty knife(don't do it).

Ended up using a long razor blade type knife(disposible type witch snap off a little when tip gets dull). I VERY CAREFULLY started at back end of tape strip and lay blade flatish and try to cut between tape and paint. As you get a 1/4 inch or so you will be able to grab the end of the tape and pull up, allowing you to put the blade right at the point it is still attatched, this helps greatly, I kept the blade at a 5-10 degree angle.

You will have a little residual adhesive left, but it can be dealt with however you feel. I worked on it with the WD40 and my fingernails(sucks), or the blade came in real handy again, at a really flat angle. I figure if I couldn't get it off in an hour or so it wasn't coming off ever, so some is still there.

I guess I'm a guinea pig of sorts, I got some minor scratches when I first started(still under the sills, nothing to deep), but once I figured out what worked best, I feel it can be done with virtually no scratches. Biggest thing is to GO SLOW. I feel every scratch was from me trying to go to fast.

FWIW, As far as the tape long ways, the factory sills are the same way, and I saw no indication of any water damage under mine.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:48 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogwan
...FWIW, As far as the tape long ways, the factory sills are the same way, and I saw no indication of any water damage under mine.
I actually did see some rust starting under my old adhesive. So now I agree with Elke at cup-sport.de (who also sells sills and who gave me this advice) that the tape should not run long-ways.

Quick Reply: New door sills installed...