Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Floor Mats Arrived + 2 Surprises

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006 | 06:32 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Thumbs up New Floor Mats Arrived + 2 Surprises

Well, my Lloyd's floor mats were delivered today and, boy, do they make a difference! Even my wife said the car looks brand new with 'em (I guess she is easily impressed, which bodes well for me. ).

Anyway, I bought them through Sunset Porsche and received the Dealer Cost + 15% deal (plus actual shipping). I ended up with the most expensive package, which includes front and rear mats with double emblems embroidered on the fronts ($154). I had priced them out at Performance Products, U.S. Speed, and Pelican Parts, but Sunset's quote price was the lowest.

The mats are black with red Porsche and silver Carrera 4 embroidery. I think they turned out great! I don't have a steering wheel badge or stamped sills, so overall it looks nice.

When the mats arrived I was pleased to see a hand written note on my invoice saying that the cost was less than they thought, so they were passing the savings on to me. The total cost ended up being $131. I also saw that they had also included a very nice 2006 Porsche calendar. It wasn't much, but it was a welcome surprise.

The fit and quality of these mats is very good. Unlike my original OEM mats that were in the car and held by those darn straps(!!), these Lloyd mats are held by the floor post that currently holds my lower mats in place (Lloyd also included screw caps with a longer stem to handle the additional thickness of the two carpet pieces.

Of course, I ~had~ to take some pictures and given our unseasonably warm temperatures and lack of snow on the ground, I pulled the car out of the garage for a once around the block--I actually needed to turn the car around in the garage so I can start doing some of those winter projects.

BEFORE:

Anyway, here is the final product (AFTER):

Last edited by InTheAir; 01-20-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2006 | 06:51 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Really does make the interior look new, nice mats! Can you describe how they're fastened? I hate the factory straps, they're worthless. How do they clip onto the post?
Old 01-20-2006 | 06:55 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

VEERRRRRY Nice ! Looks great.. Like you said, looks like new and makes a big difference..

Mine are kinda trashed... Maybe I'll give Sunset a call.
Cheers
Old 01-20-2006 | 09:24 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pcar964
Really does make the interior look new, nice mats! Can you describe how they're fastened? I hate the factory straps, they're worthless. How do they clip onto the post?
Pcar -

Thanks.

The fastening system is the same one that is used to retaining my first "layer" of mats--the ones that cover the floorboard structure itself. I tried to explain what it looks like, but I remember others doing the same for me, but I could never quite picture it. So, rather than do the same, I thought I would take a could pictures of it. As you can see, it is a VERY positive connection. That connection, coupled with the somewhat larger mats, really looks to hold the mat in position.

Old 01-20-2006 | 09:28 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911CabSteve
VEERRRRRY Nice ! Looks great.. Like you said, looks like new and makes a big difference..

Mine are kinda trashed... Maybe I'll give Sunset a call.
You should!

I just added a BEFORE picture to the original post so you can see the difference.

I'd suggest going to the Lloyd Mat website first to really figure out what you want. After that, I just called Sunset and gave them the codes, just to make sure there was no confusion.

BTW, I purchased the ULTIMATS.

http://www.lloydmats.com/ultimat_features2.htm
Old 01-20-2006 | 09:53 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

InTheAir, thanks! Looks like a very sturdy way to fasten the mats, they won't move a bit! My mats look exactly the way yours did in the "before" picture. I didn't think they were that bad, but compared to the new ones, they look like crap! Really can't believe what a difference they make
Old 01-20-2006 | 11:44 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

They look amazinging good. Are you worried that the lighter silver embroidery will get trashed faster, being so light? Or do you live in an area where you don't track in that much dirt?

These are the mats I got from that group buy last year from FVD:

and I hate to say that I've been pretty unhappy with them. The passenger mat came cracked on the left edge and the tear was about 3 inches long by the time I put them in the car. I guess they were cracked and torn before sent but it was never caught by the sender. I waited over a month to put them in my car and by the time I realized it was badly torn, the sender wouldn't replace the mat. Can't blame him - I should have checked the darn things when I first got them. I waited so many weeks for them to come from Germany after ordering them that I didn't want to send them back even though it I DID notice it was torn more than just a bit. The mat is now torn almost 4 inches at that slit/torn part and drives me a little crazy. It's starting to happen to my drivers side mats too. Not great quality, if you ask me. Maybe I'll order these Lloyd mats one day... I still have a basically new set of OEM black on black mats so I'll just use them for a season after my ripped mats bite the dust.

What I don't understand about you guys that lock the mats down with a fastening device is ... how do live with them like that? What I mean is, I track lots of little rocks, dirt, etc into my car each day and like to shake out the mats at the end of each day. If they're all fastened in there, I would find it a royal, time wasting effort to have to unscrew each one of those plastic things just to get the mats lifted up and out of the car. I have never screwed down my mats, but then again, I don't track my car. Maybe that's why you guys fasten them down.

Cheers,
Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 01-21-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2006 | 12:15 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
...and I hate to say that I've been pretty unhappy with them. The passenger mat came cracked on the left edge ..... Not great quality, if you ask me. Maybe I'll order these Lloyd mats one day...

What I don't understand about you guys that lock the mats down with a fastening device is ... how do live with them like that?
Same here, not happy. Mine cracked the first time I shook them out.

With my OEM mats, the cap just pushes down firmly on the post. No need to screw it. Very good system, and I will be going to the Lloyds mats pretty soon, as the FVD mats just seem to get dirty real fast compared with the OEM ones I replaced.

Apologies if this offends FVD, but it's like a mediocre meal in a nice restaurant - I eat it and move on.
Old 01-21-2006 | 12:32 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
They look amazinging good. Are you worried that the lighter silver embroidery will get trashed faster, being so light? Or do you live in an area where you don't track in that much dirt?
Steve -

I'm not worried about the silver embroidery for a couple of reasons-- 1) my feet aren't typically back that far, 2) my shoes are never muddy nor that dirty when I'm getting in the pcar (I drive it to work and weekends for about 6 months a year. The car is parked underground at work in a rather clean garage), and 3) to me the mats are disposable. I wash the car once a week during the driving season and vacuum regularly. If they get dirty, I'll wash. If they get stained, I'll probably just get some new front mats and get the new car feel again.

That stinks about your mats. That rip would drive me nuts. You could probably get a pair of single embroidered front mats in Carrera 4S for about $95 shipped from Sunset.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2006 | 01:22 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

I like the retainer stuff (straps for me) as I am a bit concerned about the mats sliding up underneath any of my pedals therefore affecting the full range of motion. It could get ugly if it is the wrong pedal at the wrong time.
Old 01-21-2006 | 02:59 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Hey Jeff -

Lookin good my friend . . . VERY NICE mats.

Scott
Old 01-21-2006 | 03:16 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by SCMomentum
It could get ugly if it is the wrong pedal at the wrong time.
Or worse, not being able to get WFO
Old 01-21-2006 | 08:36 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IMPRESSIVE THE CHANGE MAN ...

I GONNA BUY A SET !!
MINE LOOKS LIKE ... LIKE .. WELL .... BS --
Old 01-21-2006 | 10:26 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Scott 1996 993c2
Hey Jeff -

Lookin good my friend . . . VERY NICE mats.

Scott
Thanks for the inspiration, Scott.
Old 01-21-2006 | 11:46 AM
JChiles
Rennlist Member

Nice! I just ordered the same, but with red/red text.

Quick Reply: New Floor Mats Arrived + 2 Surprises