iPod Integration - Cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPod Integration - Cheap!

A few months ago, I upgraded the stereo in my 993 - boxed the factory CR210 in favor of an aftermarket Pioneer, and got some high quality Pioneer front speakers. I removed the rears completely, but don't miss them a bit. The improvement in sound quality and clarity is astounding, even with such a basic upgrade. However, the so-so sound quality of my iPod FM-transmitter wasn't good enough. I searched for iPod integration solutions, but they ranged from $130-$200 for adapters for my Pioneer.

After I saw a friend's setup with iPod integration, I was disappointed - yes, he could control the iPod through his stereo interface, but I found it awkward and difficult to navigate like that. I preferred using the clickwheel - Luckily, I found a perfect (and very cheap) solution:

Pioneer's CD-RB10 cable plugs into the CD changer (AUX-input) on the back of most Pioneer head units. The other end is two female RCA jacks, which obviously accepts any RCA male connectors. The CD-RB10 is about $30 online:

However, I found a generic CD-RB10 for under $10 on eBay! They're easy to find, and mine works perfectly!

Once you have the AUX-to-RCA cable plugged in to your head unit, you can pick up a RCA-to-3.5mm (Headphone jack) connector, I got mine at Radio Shack for under $5. My cable is 6ft long, which allows me to run it under the carpet to the center console, can't even see it! Now, any audio device with a headphone port can be used in my car, with PERFECT sound quality. A permanent hard-wired connection that fits any MP3 player, and total cost: $15

There are factory and generic AUX-to-RCA adapters for just about every brand, easy to find online and even eBay. I had never heard of this solution before, and was pleasantly surprised. If anyone's looking for a cheap iPod solution, this might be worth considering.

To mount my iPod, I didn't want to drill ANY holes or leave any marks on my interior. I decided to mount the iPod holder directly to the parking brake using two zip-ties. I used some thin leather strips (from an old leather belt) to act as a buffer between the zip-ties and the leather handbrake, again to avoid leaving a mark. It's easily visible, doesn't get in the way while driving, and doesn't move around. It doesn't look that bad, although it's certainly not the most elegant way to mount the iPod Easy to remove though

Last edited by pcar964; 12-04-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:59 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default another way to go

In similar fashion, I followed Chuck W's lead and purchased the following adaptor that actually allows for connection directly to the ipod dock.

Two advantages:

1) Sound quality and volume control - Both are better with this set-up as volume is controlled solely by the head unit and not the ipod.

2) Power - Allows for connection to power source at head unit (or wherever) to charge ipod while driving.

I like the handbrake mounting though... cool!
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2006, 09:03 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by trojanman
In similar fashion, I followed Chuck W's lead and purchased the following adaptor that actually allows for connection directly to the ipod dock.

Two advantages:

1) Sound quality and volume control - Both are better with this set-up as volume is controlled solely by the head unit and not the ipod.

2) Power - Allows for connection to power source at head unit (or wherever) to charge ipod while driving.

Well, at least my AUX-to-RCA info might be helpful to someone What's the price for that little contraption, trojanman?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:22 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, pcar... didn't mean to burst your bubble.

It ran around $35 plus shipping from here - http://www.autosound2000.com/ipodadapters.htm. I have to admit that I haven't yet done the power hook-up as I'm not looking forward to pulling the head unit again and putting it back (a real PITA), but I couldn't find another convenient power source.

Just a friendly FYI, I was using the headphone jack as well for some time and was astonished at the sound quality improvement of the docking port connector.

Look at it this way: If you decide to change, you're only out what, $5? And think of the secondary market for RCA adaptors.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:28 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

haha no problem - I had never heard of RCA jacks being the key to cheap iPod integration, and I wanted to share in case anyone else was in the dark like I was. I just didn't want to install one of those iPod docks in my glovebox, plus they were really expensive.

If you say there's an audio improvement with the dock cable, AND it provides power, I'm sold! Gotta love Rennlist! Thanks trojanman
Old 01-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry, I did the same thing. I think my Wife threw my RCA to headphone cord that I bought from Radio Shack away already. Got Chuck W.'s suggested wiring harness and am awaiting the opportunity to install int.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:59 AM
saphriel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964

However, I found a generic CD-RB10 for under $10 on eBay! They're easy to find, and mine works perfectly!

Once you have the AUX-to-RCA cable plugged in to your head unit, you can pick up a RCA-to-3.5mm (Headphone jack) connector, I got mine at Radio Shack for under $5. My cable is 6ft long, which allows me to run it under the carpet to the center console, can't even see it! Now, any audio device with a headphone port can be used in my car, with PERFECT sound quality. A permanent hard-wired connection that fits any MP3 player, and total cost: $15
Hi pcar964,
This is a great idea. By a "generic" CD-RB10 do you mean it would fit any head unit? I've got the stock head unit attached to a 6 CD changer, and this is the sort of thing i've looking for awhile now.

Cheers mate!
-Joe

p.s. You avatar kills me. Because of it, in every post you make, to me it's Kramer that speaks and responds.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:13 AM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by trojanman

Two advantages:

Hey Jeff, can I use this adaptor on my factory BECKER CR210?
Greetz

Old 01-18-2006, 01:42 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Eagle...

I don't think so, at least without some serious modifications. The reason many folks have gone from the 210 to the 220 is because of the Aux-In capability of the 220.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Jeff,
Where did you buy your dock connector? Is it a generic device? I have a Nakamichi head unit with RCA inputs and think this might be much better than using the headphone out on the ipod. What is the part in the middle of your picture with the black and red wires coming off it?
Old 01-18-2006, 02:46 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jeremy Pinsly
Jeff,
Where did you buy your dock connector? Is it a generic device? I have a Nakamichi head unit with RCA inputs and think this might be much better than using the headphone out on the ipod. What is the part in the middle of your picture with the black and red wires coming off it?
Jeremy, I believe those red and black wires and the fuse assembly are for charging the ipod. The RCA wires don't provide power to the ipod, so you need to run the red wire to power (and black to ground).
Old 01-18-2006, 02:49 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Jeremy,

Cosmo hit it on the head... the extra wires are for hot and ground with a fuse in-line. The link I posted above is to the site that sells the connector (no affiliation, etc.).
Old 01-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Last question-----if you don't want to charge the ipod, can you still use the dock connector to provide the audio out signal?? Or does that connection require power in order to function as an audio out?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:42 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this connector fairly standard or common? I've got an Eclipse head unit but don't really recall what's on the back panel from when I installed it. I have the pre outs going to an external amp so I I suppose I could use a 1/8" to RCA jack into the amp but that would require me removing the head unit connection which really isn't a very viable solution.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:46 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jeremy Pinsly
Last question-----if you don't want to charge the ipod, can you still use the dock connector to provide the audio out signal?? Or does that connection require power in order to function as an audio out?
Yep... you don't need to tie-in power to use the connector. As I mentioned above, I've been using the connector for a few weeks now and haven't gotten around to dealing with the power thing.

Quick Reply: iPod Integration - Cheap!