Sponsored by:

Eagle F1s vs.... what??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Eagle F1s vs.... what??

I've been here a few years... .and I know this topic has been raised before. But, I have a bit of a different twist on this question regarding tires.

I'm need to replace the rear sneakers on my 1996 C4S.... and, altho... the front rubber is still pretty OK, I would consider changing out those as well.

I recently read that the Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3s were the 'Cat's Meow' for our cars (if this is the designation). This comes from a test using the Tire Rack's tires on a BMW 3 series. I didn't see tests on the 993, but I'm sure some folks have them installed.

Yeah, I know that a BMW 330i is not an air breathing 993 Porsche. But, I'd like to know who has hooked up the Eagle F1s... and what their experiences have been.

Also, anyone who has other tires on their 993 I'd like to hear from as well. I don't track my car.... just drive it aggressively when the roads don't have snow on 'em.

I'm not so concerned with "tire life".... but more with performance, stickiness and ride. But, this is such a subjective topic..... I would entertain all folk's experiences.

Thanx all...... BAGGER
Old 01-15-2006, 11:31 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 'em all round.

I like them, wouldn't consider them noisy, they grip well in the wet (not much of that in Socal but hey, it rains every so often). Can't comment on your snow use though!

I don't track my car (I think Rennlister conekiller (sp?)) does though, so it sees all street. Not had any "break loose" moments yet, but that's not for normal street driving anyway.

Done a couple of AX's with them and about 10,000 miles and they still have gobs of tread left.
YMMV and that's all my opinion.

Clive.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:06 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you're more interested in performance than tread life, I would suggest looking for Dunlop SSRs. Their treadlife is actually not that bad, and the performance is noticably better than any standard high performance street tire. They're terrbile in the wet, and I'm sure they're unusable in the snow - but on dry roads they're outstanding.

If Tirerack still has them, they're cheap. I don't recall seeing your rear size (285s) on Tirerack, but I know they DID make them in that size.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:28 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Loved the goodyears on my M3 and hated the SO-3s on the same car. Love the SO-3s on my 993 though as the car tracks so well if properly aligned and easily overcomes the tramlining tendencies of the Bridgestones. Just thought I'd add to the confusion. Let us know how they work out if you choose them.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:02 AM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

I have these on my E39 BMW. Love them. Quiet and grip like a fiend, wet and dry. I don't drive like a madman, but I have yet to find a point where they make me nervous about what they are going to do.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:56 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

The Goodyears are thought to be a bit soft in the shoulders. You can definitely feel it when changing from a stiffer tire, but it is possible to adjust. The wear rating on the Goodyears is 280 - much higher than other performance tires, and they are strong in wet conditions.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by the_buch
The Goodyears are thought to be a bit soft in the shoulders. You can definitely feel it when changing from a stiffer tire, but it is possible to adjust. The wear rating on the Goodyears is 280 - much higher than other performance tires, and they are strong in wet conditions.
I agree with this completely.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanx, guys.... I appreciate your knowledge and opinions.

Since it's just above ZERO degrees (F) here in CT-land with ice and snow present .... I'll have to defer my driving for a while. I'll make a decision about which sneakers I'll purchase. Of course once they are hooked up, I'll let you know my experiences. I'm leaning toward the F1s.

Thanx again...

Quick Reply: Eagle F1s vs.... what??