Sponsored by:

SAI here's the deal, if you're interested

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 05:29 PM
tam993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAI here's the deal, if you're interested

techtron or whatever it is and everything else didn't do squat to clean anything.
In the begining 5 of the 6 were basically flowing somewhat. Using that stuff was a waste of time and I went from 5 flowing to 0 flowing overnight.
I started using Berrymans b-12 and now 3 of the 6 are clear.
I found you need lots of air pressure....
I used a short length of steel cable 3/16" on a battery drill to snake up in to the exhaust side of the SAI port. That along with some other wires got 3 ports clear.
I'd pour in some cleaner and leave the SAI system pressurized over night.
Rubber stopper and strap works great.

I'm going to try BG-44k on the other 3 to see if that works at all.
The car doesn't use oil and the exhaust valves where black but not much build up at all. The check valve was frozen open I believe that is what cause the problem.

I think it would have been easier and faster to just drop the engine, remove the cam carriers and drill the openings.... it's going on a week and a half now.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tam993
techtron or whatever it is and everything else didn't do squat to clean anything.
In the begining 5 of the 6 were basically flowing somewhat. Using that stuff was a waste of time and I went from 5 flowing to 0 flowing overnight.
I started using Berrymans b-12 and now 3 of the 6 are clear.
I found you need lots of air pressure....
I used a short length of steel cable 3/16" on a battery drill to snake up in to the exhaust side of the SAI port. That along with some other wires got 3 ports clear.
I'd pour in some cleaner and leave the SAI system pressurized over night.
Rubber stopper and strap works great.

I'm going to try BG-44k on the other 3 to see if that works at all.
The car doesn't use oil and the exhaust valves where black but not much build up at all. The check valve was frozen open I believe that is what cause the problem.

I think it would have been easier and faster to just drop the engine, remove the cam carriers and drill the openings.... it's going on a week and a half now.
Are you saying that you believe the SAI problem was caused by the check valve frozen open?
Old 01-12-2006, 05:50 PM
tam993
Instructor

I believe that check valve is there to prevent the exhaust from being forced back up into those gallerys
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's supposed to happen....
After looking a MikeJ's pictures, the ports in the cam carrier looks really small. I can see where they would get blocked easily.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:58 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Berryman's B12 is GOD !!!

I put one in EVERY tankful !

G.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:52 PM
jk12
Advanced

where do you buy the b12
Old 01-13-2006, 12:36 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

this is what I have been using with success. Kinda like giving your 993 a root canal. Sorry car, you'll feel better once we are done..

I welded an air fitting onto an old valve that I machined down. Kelly Kim gave me that idea. With this, I can flow some serious air through the system at higher pressures than from the SAI pump.

I made some crude looking aluminum straps to hold down the rubber plugs.

The wire is .025" SS safety wire twisted to give some strength. The other wire is coat hanger, real high tech, I know.

I bent my air gun to fit around the valve stem to back flush the really blocked-up ports.

Here are some pics;
Attached Images      
Old 01-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Reynard38
Pro

I agree that the check valve is the problem. The carbon did not come from the aircleaner side, it had to originate from the exhaust side.
Started my process today. Could not get the SAI check valve out. I sprayed PB blaster on the bottom of the valve just above the threads. I'll let it sit a few days and then try again.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:15 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Try a big ole pair of knarly channel locks. Usually does the trick. Sometimes the top part of the valve starts turning where its swaged onto the lower half. Just got to man handle that thing sometimes..
Old 01-13-2006, 09:32 AM
tam993
Instructor

I bought the Berrymans b12 at Walmart...
I used the same connections and stoppers as shown in the pictures.
I also tried using carbon-off! That stuff is crazy, it emulsifies the carbon. Just don't get it on you! :-)
or anything else for that matter.
I found you do have to go at it from both sides of the port. I leave pressure on the system with that b-12 crap in it, now the clogged 3 are dripping cleaner out so I guess they're freeing up too.
Still seems like it would be easier to just drop the engine and pull the cam towers.....

What I would like to know is once the port is opened how far up will the wire go into that exhaust port? like does it go all the way up into the sai air gallery?
Mikej that is doing the engine now would be the guy that could tell us.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:43 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I tried roto-rooting with twisted safety wire in a cordless drill. Couldnt get it in very far. Manipulating the twisted wire by hand was best. Takes some time on each port, but eventually they can be cleared, I feel.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

check here ( www.systemsc.com/pictures.htm ) to see the difficulty in accessing
fully all the passages.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:52 PM
tam993
Instructor

I used 3/16" steel cable in the drill. I will try the wire trick on the remaining ports.

I agree with systems consulting.
I think what we're doing is OK, but I wasted so much time doing 3 ports alone. I believe I could have dropped the engine and just pulled the cam towers and have been done with it in less time. Plus I could have done other tasks too.
Next time....

Quick Reply: SAI here's the deal, if you're interested