Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 07:23 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
Yes...only for the YM 1995 cars...
That's not quite correct. It was a safety recall for a free harness replacement, which is still in effect. It was based upon the batch # of the harness which is on the harness label located inside the plastic box on the left engine compartment wall. There were bad harnesses up through early build MY'96 (like my '96). Based on VIN a P dealer can advise if a car was possibly covered by the recall. To be sure the harness # must be checked. Not all cars in the build date time period were effected.

BTW, the US recall was prompted, in large measure, by the persistence & tenacity of (ex?) Rennlister, EJ. I think his website is down now, but it was "harness central" in documenting the manufacturing defect & bringing it to the attention of the NHTSA.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:27 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
Pcar964 quoted:
"993 is strong car, but not any better than the early cars. imho"

Based on my experience with the early P-cars I've owned, I have to disagree

But then again, that's the best thing about opinions, just like a-holes, everyone has one
Well, I've had just about every generation of 911, and I don't consider the 993 to be better in terms of build quality. It's probably as good, but not better. Some will argue that it's a "better car" because it has better A/C, or easier to maintain, but that has nothing to do with build quality. They were advancements in technology, but that doesn't make it a better car.

I also consider my 82 Benz 300 turbodiesel a better car than any Porsche I've owned, in terms of build quality. But the 993 is indeed a great car, don't get me wrong
Old 01-12-2006, 08:29 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c993k
I would never take my car to Champion again. I had two horrible experiences there.
JCM John 954 7710435 excellent service at decent prices or
Gulf Performance Vince 954 7837345 also great place to take your 993 if you are in the Fort Lauderdale area. Both these shops are very familiar with the 993. Champion has no mechanics who know these cars according to their service manager. I did my harness there during the recall and it ended up costing me over $2000 after they shorted the alternator and also charged me for a new fan because they broke the bearing trying to get it off with a hammer. When I got the car back, the oil pressure was reading all the way to the top, after many attempts to get them to correct it, I gave up. There was nothing wrong with my car when I brought it in.
Champion Sucks Big time, stay away. Chris
I must WHOLE-HEARTEDLY agree. If you want to know why, check my post about Champion screwing up my alternator/fan shroud while doing a simple belt replacement. They're idiots, they don't know what they're doing with 993s or any other air-cooled car, if you ask me.

To top it off, once they damage your car, they'll either call you a liar and pretend there's no damage, or they'll blame YOU for damaging the car and trying to pull a fast one on them. The shop manager was about a heartbear from me shoving his fingers into the fan of my running engine.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c993k
I would never take my car to Champion again. I had two horrible experiences there.
JCM John 954 7710435 excellent service at decent prices or
Gulf Performance Vince 954 7837345 also great place to take your 993 if you are in the Fort Lauderdale area. Both these shops are very familiar with the 993. Champion has no mechanics who know these cars according to their service manager. I did my harness there during the recall and it ended up costing me over $2000 after they shorted the alternator and also charged me for a new fan because they broke the bearing trying to get it off with a hammer. When I got the car back, the oil pressure was reading all the way to the top, after many attempts to get them to correct it, I gave up. There was nothing wrong with my car when I brought it in.
Champion Sucks Big time, stay away. Chris
Ouch!!!! I think I got lucky...I agree with the "Gulf Performance" reference...great shop indeed!!! The problem is to pay for a recall when you have the right to get it for free...tough call! Maybe take the car to Naples!!! Anybody knows their dealership?

Quick Reply: Got the harness replaced today.