Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Tires - worth more mounted or unmounted?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Snow Tires - worth more mounted or unmounted?

Native Californian here - snow is for skiing, not driving.

My 993 has new Blizzak LM-25 snow tires. So I'm going to sell them. Tire Rack has sold out, so they might be useful to someone living where it snows/rains.

New, these tires are about $600. With only 4K miles, I figure they are worth 400 unmounted. But do you think they would bring a better market value mounted on Cup wheels - closer to $1K?

Just wondering what you guys that buy snow tires think.

Thanks,

Don
Old 01-06-2006, 08:53 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don
I think they're worth more mounted & balanced. However, IMO your pricing is optimistic at this time of the year, but good luck.

I assume 225F & 255R on oem 17" Cup wheels.

PS 4,000 miles on a set of LM-25s is hardly "new."
Old 01-06-2006, 09:31 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of used LM Blizzak 17s with only 2k miles on them for $200 last year so $400 for them with 4k miles, you might get lucky if someone is desperate! (sorry but there just isn't as huge of a resale value on used tires).
Old 01-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't put snows on the p-cars, but do on everything else. Snow tires are done well before the tread is gone because the rubber becomes hard as it ages and the tread becomes more shallow. I get rid of snows somewhere between 50% and 30% remaining tread. So, forget miles and figure out age and depth of tread (both new and now). I suggest they are worth $50 ea, or $800 mounted.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:52 PM
MrClean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to chime in here and go against the grain a bit.

$400 is a bit optimistic, but not competely unreasonable for snow tires with 4,000 miles that still have good life left in them. It is true that the tires become less effective in snow and ice as the sipes diminish/wear off, but the tires would still make great winter weather tires, from my experience.

I am on my fourth season with the LM-22's on the Audi S4. The sipes are just about gone, but the thick, flexible tread still does well in the cold, snowy weather (much better than the summer tires). Although, this was really stretching them out and it will be the last season for them.

For an example of pricing used snow tires, my TT has WS-50's (225/45/17) that I bought used off someone who used them for one season (~4k miles) for $200 (4 tires unmounted, he was asking $300 and I offerred $200). It cost me about $70 to get them mounted and balanced on an extra set of wheels I had. If I had not had the wheels, it would have made less sense for me, given the wheel and tire packages that Tirerack has.

I am on the third season (11k-12k miles total) and they are still doing great. Sipes are still deep enough for good snow traction. I figure maybe one more season and they are gone.

Comparing this to buying new ($600, mounted, four seasons vs. $200, unmounted, three seasons), it is a good buy.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires - worth more mounted or unmounted?