Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jacking Up a 993 - fell off jackstand!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 03:10 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys know a lot more about this car than I do, but everybody that I have been talking to about 'where to jack the car up' has mentioned NOT to use the engine. (Two techs in particular that work on Porsches, one that worked on racecars, both say not to do it)

Seems that most are pretty quick to throw a jack under the car and lift it right at the engine, and I can tell by looking under the car on the lift that the previous owner(s) were lifting it from the engine, because a bracket has been bent completely flat. Still, makes me nervous....
Old 01-05-2006, 03:19 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't recommend lifting via the floor pans. My old SC was treated this way before I got and saw the damage caused once I'd changed the old carpet. It was an easy car to lift at the jack points and the jack stands fit nicely on the rear suspension '****'.

I too have jacked my 993 via the engine following the p-car site. no issues, but it is a little worrisome at first. I use a small block of wood against the engine just as a precaution.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:30 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

With this amount of sag, you'll notice the exhaust tips will rise up into the bumper cover once you start jacking from the bottom of engine. Excessive sag is grounds for an RS engine mount upgrade Seriously, this is indicative of leaking engine mounts. Have a close look around where the engine mount bolts to the body, looking for any type of 'goo' that has leaked out.

With the car on the ground, do you have a lot of clearance between your exhaust tips and your bumper cover?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of threads on this "annual" subject. A sampling of the 173 threads I found.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=front+jacking

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=jacking
Old 01-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
With this amount of sag, you'll notice the exhaust tips will rise up into the bumper cover once you start jacking from the bottom of engine. Excessive sag is grounds for an RS engine mount upgrade Seriously, this is indicative of leaking engine mounts. Have a close look around where the engine mount bolts to the body, looking for any type of 'goo' that has leaked out.

With the car on the ground, do you have a lot of clearance between your exhaust tips and your bumper cover?
There's an 1" from the top of the tips to bottom of the cover. I looked all around the mounts, clean and dry.

Based on my engine moving up and down a little, the concensus is I need new mounts?

Thanks,

Don
Old 01-05-2006, 09:36 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

You can remove the mounts rather easily once the bottom of the engine is supported. At that point you'll be able to see the gap between the mount stud assy. and the body of the mount.

In your case, an inch is all the engine assy can be raise while jacking from under the engine. May be worth a look.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
That sure would be a convenient way to get jackstands under the 2 front corners. I'd like to hear of others doing this before I ever attempt it. That floor pan up front is REALLY thin.
There are 2 tiedown eyelets on the front end behind the front tires, I've used that location (or similarly, suspension points etc, but not the pan!) with wood streched between the 2 points, works well. BUT A LIFT in my garage would make me much happier
Old 01-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Can't you just use front jacking point, raise it up and slide the jackstand underneath the rear jacking point? I've done the front that way and it's a piece of cake, seems like the rear shouldn't be any different?!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:43 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The rear doesnt come off the ground when jacking up the front.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:58 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
The rear doesnt come off the ground when jacking up the front.
It sure does. That is how I jack my car up. I Jack it up in the front until is high enough in the rear to slide a jack stand. The Chasis doesn't flex at all, the whole side of the car moves up regardless of were I place the jack, maybe 1" difference from the jacking point to the opposite side.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:37 AM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with jimq. When you jack the front the rear doesn't come off the ground. When you jack the rear the front does come off the ground. I know it seems weird but I just went through this procedure this past weekend.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:43 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

I use two jacks. I lift at the jack point, remove the wheel. Then put other jack under suspension arm and lift to put a jackstand where first jack was used.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:59 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
You guys know a lot more about this car than I do, but everybody that I have been talking to about 'where to jack the car up' has mentioned NOT to use the engine. (Two techs in particular that work on Porsches, one that worked on racecars, both say not to do it)...
Consider getting the Autometrics jackpoint/towhook shown on Robin's p-car.com site. I got one in a group buy a few years back....it's pricey but it makes it much easier/safer to lift using the engine.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
That sure would be a convenient way to get jackstands under the 2 front corners. I'd like to hear of others doing this before I ever attempt it. That floor pan up front is REALLY thin.
I do that and have had no problems. I have to drive on 2x4's since my car is low.

I measured 2x12 (or 14) to be as long as possible and usually have as little fuel as possible when i know I need to hack my whole car up.

Floorpan is thin but there really isn't that much weight (especially when tank almost empty) and that big 2x12 spreads the load well.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:42 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcuozzo
I'm with jimq. When you jack the front the rear doesn't come off the ground. When you jack the rear the front does come off the ground. I know it seems weird but I just went through this procedure this past weekend.
My Cab must be extra rigid then. I jack the front to work on the rear and viceversa. Both wheels come off the ground when I jack the car from either jack point.

I have H&R springs with Bilsteins HD's, don't know if that helps.

Quick Reply: Jacking Up a 993 - fell off jackstand!