Sponsored by:

Group Buy AC jack just puked all over garage floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 02:46 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Okay, I got a call back from Peter at Steril/Koni and Friday and returned the call today. The bad news- the jacks only carry a two-year warranty and I am going to have to cough up the cash for the parts. To be candid, the guy was gruff, curt and really sucked at customer service. I will tear down the jack this week and see what broke. I can tell that I am going to be without a jack for a month! AGHHH
Old 01-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ed devinney
When I did some group buys (TomF, if you're one of mine let me know, but I don't have you in my spreadsheet) I was told that the AC Hydraulics units should be repariable at any hydraulic shop if need be.

If you bought through Steve W, contact him as I believe he has a very good relationship with Stertil-Koni. My man at Stertil-Koni left a couple of years ago but I'll be happy to call them if there's anything I can do. Please let us know how it goes.
I was on Rennlist for all of about 5 days when Ed started the 1st group buy, that was 5 years ago and my jack has been flawless, 2 cars later and it is still going strong. Believe me, that sucker has gotten a workout!!!

TomF, how much are parts to repair as I am sure I just jinxed my self...
Old 01-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know the details of the warranty or if the five year thing is new, but this is taken directly from the AC Hydraulics section of ASE's website:

"THE FINEST HYDRAULIC JACKS

Made in Denmark - proven quality.

The widest range of quality garage jacks and floor jacks.

Safe, with extremely precise control during lifting/lowering operations.

Piston made of CROMAX (hard chromium steel)

Built in safety valve to ensure against overloading.

Jacks with capacity up to 2.2 tons supplied with synthetic wheels, higher supplied with cast iron.

Great maneuverability, due to rounded wheels and swivel casters with ball bearings.

Extra accessories for floor jacks rated 2.2 ton or more, including rubber tires for easy transport even on rough floors.

High lifting jacks and floor jacks rated for more than 2.2 tons have foot pedal for quick lift.

All floor jacks can be taken apart for change of parts.

PLUS - A new, comprehensive 5 year warranty! - (Call for details)."
Old 05-03-2006, 04:16 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Okay, here is an update. I have been too busy to deal with the AC Jack, so I have been getting by with my Sears one... I pulled the hydraulic cylinder and pump out of the jack and discovered that there is no way of telling where the hydraulic fluid came from. It is pretty much everywhere. I called Stertil-Koni again and discovered that since my last fun talk with them that they no longer carry AC products...

After another frustrating conversation with a beligerent receptionist, it appears that they really only will "reluctanctly" support the AC products. I am supposed to get a callback from some sort of outside service person in a day or so.

Anyone have any ideas? I am happy to take the cylinder to a local hydraulic shop if that can get the job done.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:19 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problems. Try the local hydraulic place or, if no success there, perhaps Steve Weiner has access to spare parts?

The guy I dealt with at Stertil Koni was great, but he's gone from there for a couple of years. Young guy really trying to make a go of a new product line and I think the older guys at S-K didn't care for someone actually trying hard. I also got the impression that the relationship between S-K and AC wasn't all that great.

I wonder who's importing them now?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:34 AM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the AC jack as well. I hope that this is not a common problem.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:08 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

"If you've purchased a DK13 or DK20 jack, its important that you do a quick check to see if the hydraulics are adjusted properly. The online photos, available to Ultimate Garage customers, will allow you to better understand your jack and determine if there is a potential problem."
And for non-Ultimate Garage customers? Love my DK13HLQ!
Old 05-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It would be great if someone could provide the info on checking the adjustment.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:44 PM
lenticular
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC jack squeals when lowering

Over the last month or so my AC jack squeals when I go to lower the car. Has anyone run into this before? Jacking the car up is fine- no weird noises.

Thanks,
John
Old 05-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a link to a UK company's website (Sealey Tools) that markets the AC jack in the UK under their own label and lists a parts diagram and a limited instruction set. No idea about parts prices or availability though.

http://www.sealey-tools.co.uk/partse...&search=1301hl
Old 05-09-2006, 07:13 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Great info. Thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: Group Buy AC jack just puked all over garage floor