Sponsored by:

CDR 220 install problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 10:02 PM
troutrover
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CDR 220 install problems

I have installed a CDR 220 in place of an After market Sony installed bt the PO and am having a problem getting the front outputs to work with the amp that is in there. Basically the problem is that I am getting a signal out of all four speaker outputs on the 220, hook up the rear leads to the amp and everthing works great, hook up the front leads and I get a hiss and the sound cuts out on all four channels. You then have to power off (which shuts the 220 and amp) unplug the front channels and turn it back on to get the rears to work. I have traced and tested every component (all four channel out puts on the 220, the RCA leads to the amp, the speaker wires...) When I connect the old Sony up it works fine. Everthing seems to work indipentantly of one another but connecting the front leads causes the problem. I know enough to be dangerous but an thinking that maybe the output from the front channels on the 220 is to much for the amp and cuasing it to trip a breaker? Anyone have any advice on where to go next?

Also do I connect the "green" wire to the radio body to prevent the "double blink" of the LED's?

Happy New Year!
Chistian
Old 01-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

If I had to guess that the CDR-220 needs to have a Becker amp that is matched to the unit. I know when I added the DSP controller I had to have the amp designed for the DSP system. Once I got into it I found that the Cabs and Coupes use a different Amp. My suggestion would to be to contact a Porsche dealer parts department and as them for the part number for the amp for a coupe using a CDR-220. If you have the DSP controller in the driver’s arm rest tell them. Also, amps for these radios come up on eBay all the time. Good luck and keep us posted.

Here’s one that’s listed on eBay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...WDVWQQtcZphoto
Old 01-03-2006, 12:02 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you find that the Nokia amp that came with some of our cars will work, I think I still have one laying around. It's yours-let me know. I don't know what head unit was in my car when new-it had an Alpine unit in when I purchased the car used and it worked with the amp.
Of course, that is of no help to you! If your dealer tells you the Nokia amp will work, give me a holler.
I think I still have all the head unit, amp, speaker boxes for inside the doors, etc. I replaced it all with upgraded equipment.
Good Luck
chuck
Old 01-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Christian,

Are you using the Becker specific RCA output dongle to connect RCA cables (line level vs. speaker level) to your amp? I have more or less the same config and it works just fine. (CDR-220 with a Soundstream amp)

It looks like it's part no. 1185.640-276 ($16.60) Sorry, couldn't find a pic. Order from beckerautosound.com

Hope that helps,

-travis
Old 01-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The CDR210 will work with other amps. I have a CDR220 with a CAI system that uses an Audison amp.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:55 PM
troutrover
Advanced

I figured it must be able to be used with an auxilary amp. I see in the manual there is a setting for line level ALL/CD, anyone know if changing this will switch it to line level vs speaker level?

csertich - thanks for the offer, if I can't get what I have to work I will contact you.

Cheer
Christian
Old 01-04-2006, 11:03 AM
alpina22
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

troutrover - can you try another headunit? Not sure about the 220, but with a TrafficPro, there isn't a "setting" that you can change to switch between line-level to speaker-level output. You simply use the 5 channel pre amp harness from Becker and run your interconnects to the amp. I'm sure this is exactly how you have it connected now but there might be a problem with the HU.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:33 PM
troutrover
Advanced

I spoke with Becker today and the speaker out puts in the main wiring harness are powered and mostlikely causing the problem. To get a line level or pre-amp signal you need to use a special smaller harness that plugs into the "C" port on the back of the CDR220. I will report back when the parts come in.

CB
Old 01-04-2006, 09:57 PM
alpina22
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was referring to...the connector that plugs into chamber C1. Socket B (large rectangle), is all high level speaker outputs. C1 is low level.

Please post the outcome after you receive the new harness.

Quick Reply: CDR 220 install problems