Sponsored by:

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:55 AM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Have you drilled your airbox? If not, that's a whole lot less expensive (& IMHO better) than a K&N.
Sorry for the late reply as I've been away on hols and just got back.

Yep, I've drilled my airbox, but it sounds significantly different to another custom drilled airbox (different size of holes). I think I'm going to have another go at the airbox cover and make some of the holes a bit larger... has anyone experimented with different hole templates? Any sound/resonance gurus who could offer some sound advice (sorry...) on what hole template would give the best sound? I've still got a spare untouched airbox cover so I could always have another go...
Old 01-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I simply drill 6-7, 1.5" to 2" holes in the cover and that works very well.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:05 PM
nolift911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the table saw and cut the face of the airbox off - took about 11 seconds I believe. Use the fence on the table saw and make a pass with a high count blade (for paneling, masonite etc). It looks just like a factory cup airbox lid.

This does two great things - 1. excellent intake howl at upper RPM's (actually feels like it is sucking air out of your ears...) 2. Makes great room in the engine compartment. I would stick with the stock element. They are cheap and easily replaceable.

Excellent no cost mod...IMO

-Jeff
Old 01-09-2006, 06:11 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i simply pulled the rubber plug out as well as the snorkle... noticed quite a change in sound w/o drilling (but i'm in a cab) may not be sig. for a coupe' though.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:29 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

I have a Tiptronic, so there in no snorkle tube from the clutch on the air box, would taking out the rubber bung that covers the whole make any difference or not?
Old 01-09-2006, 04:50 PM
24FPS
Drifting

gabi yep, i actually mean the small rubber plug & the oval inlet of the airbox cover (metal on motor-sound cars) black plastic on non-ms... though it looks as though it does not snap out, it does w/ some effort. (always thought i could simply snap back when i return the car to stock) b4 selling etc...
when removed you can actually stick part of your hand in it, opens it up quite a bit imo.

i'll try & post a pic if i can.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter