Note to self:
1. Ignore pointless and ignorant remarks
2. Breath deeply
3. Repeat number 1.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been downt his road - after the warranty repair (top recall) Porsche warrants the work for 12 months but if you pay for the repair it's warrantied for 24 months says the dealer. Makes no sense to me at all. The dealer did replace one of the top motors after 15 months - gears stripped. Now the other top motor quit working - I have a call in to get my "old" motors back and/or have Porshce replace the "recall motor" after nearly 18 months. Does anyone know how hard it is to replce the top motor yourself as a DIY if this fails?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:26 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry,

Wasn't trying to be inflammatory. Forgot the obligatory smilies . With the terrible weather we had for the past month at least and the cold weather we have even if it isn't piXXing with rain I can only get a tin top Yeah we might have the occasional nice summer but then RS only comes with a tintop .
Peace guys and Merry X'mas.

Harry
Old 12-23-2006, 01:55 AM
993Dude
Advanced

Holy cow. My 993 is midnight blue metallic and right up the street from yours. Nice car!
Old 12-23-2006, 05:46 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

imho.... i would not do the top recall if your top works well.

pins are replaced with notched ones that are more prone to catching which can cause severe damgae to the motors & motor arms.

also the very well made bosche motors are switched out for cheaply made hungarian replacements that do not have a lifespan near that of the originals.

just my 2¢.

also remember to only operate your top on a level surface... anytihng else & you will be inviting probs down the line.

Last edited by 24FPS; 12-23-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:54 PM
2nd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More the top replacement/rear window split

OK I stopped down at Bascom this week. They had mistakenly looked up the 996 and quoted me on a glass option for the rear window. As InTheAir noted earlier no glass option available for the 993 Cab only platstic.

also you'll love this one. JThe guy suggested that I check with my insureance to "see if the policy covers stupidity" for putting the top up in 30 degree weather... pretty funny. i'll take a few $$ out of him on the negotiation for that comment.

I think they buy the tops from http://www.gahh.com/993-cabriolet-19..._336_2980.html

Anyone have any experience with the quality of these tops? The description notes a "green tinted" window.. what it that? I don't want any funky colored window I want my old cab back as is.

See you.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:56 PM
2nd993
Instructor

good luck - my policy does cover stupidity.
new top on the way.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

2nd993: Had mine replaced at Bascom 3 years ago. They resoldered the microswitch and checked the cables. Good shop (one of the owners has a 911 Cab). $2,200 is a little heavy, but they do very good work in a very clean shop and are very knowledgeable. Did they give you a separate price for a zippered window?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Love my top, no problems when a competent person makes the necessary adjustments. Been three years of daily use since the last time my top needed to be touched by anyone.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:08 PM
2nd993
Instructor

Raptor: They quoted me something at 2800.00 if i use them i'll be sure to negotiate it. I think the top comes straight from gahh. Not sure if the window is zippered or stiched or what.

A shop in Burlingame CA near my house on Howard quoted me 1800.00 for the same job and I got a quote at about 3800.00 for a new OEM top.

in answer to my own question earlier apparently the windows have a green "tint" to them that i never really noticed. Anyway I have a $1K deductable so my new steering wheel and and ruf wheels will have to wait.

MR
Old 12-30-2006, 08:32 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
I bought the German canvas top from that ebay guy that sells them out of CA for $450. OEM-like quality and great service (no affiliation). I had one of the best "interior" shops install it for me for C$600. If you need the roof liner, it'll cost an extra $200.

Is it the labor or the cost of the top that's expensive? They might just be marking up the top and that's what puts the cost at near $2k. You may want to ask them how much they'll charge for the install only.
I finally had my top done in Boston for $1,660. Gahn top with new liner. They all play the same game there - quote a price that has a markup on the top itself. Or quote higher price to install "someone else's top". Or refuse to do it. I can understand that to some degree, everyone needs to make money.

Interestingly, if you have a Gahn top installed (don't know about others) you will have an obscure problem. The top has a zipper for the wind blocker. The wind blocker has a piece of material attached to it with the other half of the zipper. On a Gahn top the zipper runs in the direction opposite that of the original roof. In other words you can't attach the wind blocker to it.

Gahn supplies the new piece of material that attaches to the windscreen. With the zipper running in the same direction as on the Gahn's new top. However, my professional installer coul not find a way to detach the damn thing from the windscreen.

When I'm back from Europe in the summer, we've gong to cut the old material off, leave about 1/2" of it attached to the windscreen and simply stitch the new material to that 1/2". Not pretty, if you ask me.

Oh, I'm also not sure I'm very happy with the slight distortion in the very top of the new window. I'll try to address it with Gahn next summer, but I have a feeling that they'll play dumb.

PS. 2nd993 - have teh dealer write an estimate for the top replacement. Take it to insurer, get a check for that amount plus tax minus $1000 deductible. Then chose whatever top replacement you need. People report good $1000 replacements in SoCal, maybe a trip down there is worth the price difference.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:19 PM
2nd993
Instructor

Mike Thanks.
The zipper issue with the wind screen will drive me nuts. I'm going to make these guys quote that out too and figure out some way to fix it all at once. I like that part of the top/headliner.

re: the quote.. yes I'll have to work that a little. I may ask my insurance to give me credit for an original top plus depriciation as I think that will be the most expensive way to go and then try to negotiate. We'll see my insurance is USAA and they're pretty smart/on top of things. Sinc ethe car only has 29K miles on it and stayed in the garage i should be ablke to make the case for an original replacement. we'll see. anyway i'm not paying someone 2800 for an aftermarket top job.

MR

Quick Reply: Aaagh, I hate this cabriolet top!