Sponsored by:

Oil Level Gauge & 30k Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:28 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oil Level Gauge & 30k Service

Just picked up my 98 C2S from the dealer to day after getting a 30k service (and buying the car)..:-).

On the way home I noted that the Oil Level Guage, while reading the proper 3 o'clock position after sitting at a light for a minute, QUICKLY drops to "beyond the red zone" when I start to move. I understand that the gauge will move under power, but is it normal for it to "nosedive" into the red immediately and never return until the car is stopped again?

Also, when I finally got to my destination (30 minutes in traffic), I parked the car and noted that there was oil leaking from the back right quarter (where the oil fillis). After sitting in that spot for 20 minutes a 4-inch diameter circle of brand new Mobil 1 was on the pavement.

A check of the engine compartment revealed a tight lid, but oil had obviously come from somewhere.

Drove the car to a new spot and no further oil leak...nothing!

With these 2 events occuring, is something potentially wrong here? The car was JUST serviced for the 30k. Perhaps an overfill?

Nevertheless, with the leak and the gauge nosediving I became very nervous.

BTW, the oil temp and pressure were very good.

Anyone else have the constant red zone on the oil gauge when driving?

HELP

btw, posting pics of her tonite.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:30 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
On the way home I noted that the Oil Level Guage, while reading the proper 3 o'clock position after sitting at a light for a minute, QUICKLY drops to "beyond the red zone" when I start to move. I understand that the gauge will move under power, but is it normal for it to "nosedive" into the red immediately and never return until the car is stopped again?
This is quite normal.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:33 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Congratulations on your ownership of a true classic among the world's great machines. The oil gauge offers no meaningful information unless you are completely warmed up (including the thermostat to the front oil cooler open) and sitting at idle for about a minute. It is perfectly normal for the gauge to 'nosedive into the red' when underway, particularly if the fill is not right to the top ( a 3 o'clock position on the gauge is perfect). Once you get used to the gauge, you will also want to check it against an actual dipstick reading, but I suggest waiting until your oil gets a little dirtier because it's almost impossible to see.

As to the puddle you describe, I'd keep an eye on that and hopefully it was the result of an overfill or spill at the dealer.

Again, congratulations and we anticipate your promised photos :-)
Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 PM
FLA997
Drifting

I was thinking overfill as well, since it is no longer leaking...but is there an outlet for extra oil to escape?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If

You have the rear tray on, then likely a spill finding a place to hit the ground....if you are worried, then have the tray removed and look at it....and the underside of the engine.....the guage is normal
Old 12-21-2005, 11:31 PM
FLA997
Drifting

I looked closer and the filler tube base is wet with oil...oil dripped down to the right exhaust tip and then to the "puddle".

If it was an overfill, i am assuming there was a relief valve of some sort that allowed the excess oil to escape? There was no oil on the pavement at the dealer when I picked it up...only after a 30 minute traffic run when things were warmed up.

My mind is now at ease regarind gthe gauge, but the leak is somehwat puzzling....
Old 12-21-2005, 11:48 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When filling after an oil change, the first 8 qts or so go in very quickly. The last 2-3 qts go in much slower and can easily flow back up the filler tube (1-2 qts remain in the oil cooler and lines). My guess is that the tech filled those last 2-3 qts quickly and some spilled over.

I'd clean up the oil as best as possible, check your oil level and see how it goes. The dip stick is a pain to read, but topped off correctly you should be able to see the new oil at or near the top of the range.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:08 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Thank you very much for the info...its just hard to believe that so much oil stayed "somewhere" for a 30 minute drive in stop-go traffic, and then decided to puddle when I stopped.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:59 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

I think it's been said many times before.... NEVER TRUST THE GAUGE... always trust the dipstick, and only when fully warmed up. Yes it's a pain, but it's accurate... the gauge is only a "gauge" and not 100% right.

Check the real oil level (dipstick) and report back

Congrats by the way!... Nice Xmas present. Look forward to the pics....
Old 12-25-2005, 02:09 AM
PD2FLY
Rennlist Member

The oil that came from right rear was just in front of RR wheel. Most factory trained Tech's don't follow factory procedures when doing an oil change. They will drop the rear of the plastic "pan" in front of the rear wheel. Pulling the rear of the peice down with one hand while pulling oil filter with the other. Since the large filter is on its side, it dumps oil onto the side pan .Fast, but a bit sloppy. If you did'nt see him/her replace the second filter, they pencil whipped it.They hate where it's located! No biggie, as your going to change oil more often that reconmended. Just like everyone else and DIY. If the leak had continued? Loose or cross threaded filter. Does'nt sound like it. Hubb.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:24 AM
FLA997
Drifting

I never really got a straight answer as to where the oil was coming from, but when I brought it back the next day the 'tech' got an *** chewin right in front of me and another customer.

I am usually a DIY guy, but the 30k was thrown in when I bought the car, so back it went for them to correct the problem.

Quick Reply: Oil Level Gauge & 30k Service