Sponsored by:

993 CEL anxiety???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking Passed Smog today!!!!

With a nice new SAI valve from Hergesheimer, and the fact that I frequently drive the car in a brisk fashion and avoid traffic jams, coupled with the fact that I did NOT* have to do the California dyno test, I passed SMOG today with flying colors.

My car is registered in a rural area, San Miguel, CA. Because I live part time in the boonies, I only need a sniff test, no dyno...I love it! Insurance is a little better in the boonies too.

Note, Hergesheimer's documents Secondary Air Injection flow, before and after they replace the SAI valve. I was pleased to see some metrics.

So take, replace the SAI valve every 15,000 miles, take off those heat shields (Show me your tips!), buy the best quality gas around and take your car for a brisk drive in the country, every weekend!
Old 12-20-2005, 06:26 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Congrats Martin.

I'm sure that is a relief.

I went back and re-read the link posted by Lorenfb and may need to revise my thinking on one issue based on the article. It sounds like the oil associated with valve guide wear that gets burned in the combustion chamber may be the biggest issue contributing to SAI carbon buildup. I know the mechanic that serviced my car before I bought it said that they change from the OEM Porsche valve guides to another type they helped develop. These new guides don't wear as fast and consequently don't allow as much oil to leak by. I'll try to get more information on their valve guides.

However, the author of that article seems to feel the accelerated engine wear associated with higher speeds may offset any benefit of higher velocity gases through the SAI ports. Sounds to me like a "pick your poison" scenario. I think I'll drive the car like it was designed to be driven, hope that keeps the SAI ports clear, then address the engine wear when it occurs. I haven't babied my SC by any means and it has 210k miles.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:03 PM
dcchen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does a typical shop charge to change the SAI check valve?

Quick Reply: 993 CEL anxiety???