Sponsored by:

Aftermarket outside temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 03:39 AM
ctoomey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket outside temperature gauge

I've got a '96 cab w/o the onboard computer -> w/o an outside temperature display. I'd like to have an outside temperature display inside the cockpit somewhere. Do any of you guys have aftermarket external temp. displays that you'd recommend?

thx,
Chris
Old 12-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 556 Posts

Oregon Scientific makes a bunch of stuff. Not sure if it integrates with your OBC, though.
Edit: Saw you have no OBC, so it should be what you need.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:48 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Chris...

I'll check my records for the manufacturer when I'm back in town, but the PO of my car bought and installed an auto-dimming rearview mirror that has an integrated digital thermometer and compass... I really like it a lot.

I'll post the info this weekend.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:54 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

The one I have is a "Mito Comp/Temp Auto Dim Mirror" (Model 50-GENK10)... cost was $275 back in '02 not including install.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:48 PM
ctoomey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jeff and Terry.

According to the info. on Mito's website, Porsche is one of the brands for which the factory mirrors can't be replaced w/ Mito's. Wonder why they said that and what it takes to install one of these. Has anybody installed one of these?

thx,
Chris
Old 12-18-2005, 03:30 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Maybe it takes some less-than-simple mods to get power to the mirror... I know with mine that they had to run power from somewhere up in the headliner.

FWIW, my reciept indicated $125 to install... the place appears to be a stereo shop.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by ctoomey
Thanks Jeff and Terry.

According to the info. on Mito's website, Porsche is one of the brands for which the factory mirrors can't be replaced w/ Mito's. Wonder why they said that and what it takes to install one of these. Has anybody installed one of these?

thx,
Chris
Ironically I was just looking into adding a Gentex Mito's) to my car. But my mechanic told me the little button on the windshield comes pre-installed and can't be removed without cracking the glass. Further, the dealer for the Gentex said the mirror would only install on top of domestic windshield buttons. So the $64K question is how do you attach to the windshield?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob
Old 12-21-2005, 11:20 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been planning to install a Gentex AutoDim mirror with HomeLink, but found the same mounting issue. You can remove the stock mirror by turning it a quarter turn counterclockwise. The windshield mount is glued there.

The adhesive on mine is quite strong, but kind of soft - I can depress it with a small screwdriver. I thinking that I *might* be able to carefully force a razor blade behind it to cut it free. Then, clean up the residual.

If that works I can install the Gentex mount. If it doesn't, I may be screwed.

The wiring for the mirror runs up to the headliner, behind the inside rubber seal for the windshield, and down the A-pillar and fed into the dash. From there you hook up the power per the instructions. The OEM Porsche auto-dim mirror installs the same way.

If I can get to it over the holidays, I'll post the DIY.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket outside temperature gauge