Sponsored by:

Recommendations on a pressure washer

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 11:32 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KARCHER
just bought in september a karcher, 6hp honda, 2800psi, with adjustable pressure valve for $360.00

most of your large home box stores have them priced right for the winter sales, if you dont get a karcher at least make sure it is honda powered.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by eloyex
Dont be lazzy and exercise the muscles ....

i have a great Karcher unit ... great for anything ,BUT wash a vehicle, including bikes and yachts. It is not only agressive for the paint and finishes but damages the washers, o rings, sealings, and all the gizmos designed to keep water and humidity away ... you can be forcing water into places do not designed to be wet as well as break the natural proteccion of some sealants.
You have to use your head with anyy pressure washer. This means, when washing a car, you need to use the widest setting possible, keep the nozzle away from the paint and be aware of where you are spraying. Of course, you don't want to spray into electrical areas, rubber gaskets, etc. in the same way you would not drive a 993 at 160 mph on, say, ice. Just becasuse you have the power doesn't mean that you should use it to its maximum capability.

In two years of pressure washer use have I yet to see of a problem. A good, old hand wash is preferable, but, when you're in a hurry and want to get the corrosive brake dust from Hawk Blues off, the PW is the way to go.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:32 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys thanks for all the advice....re pressure washers and cars....I have owned several p-cars and have used pressure washeres on them all....on low setting for paint and a higher setting for wheels and underbody and wheelarches...I have never had an issue....but then I drive my car EVERY day, whatever the weather...it is not a garage queen.....in the winter a pressure washer set low and used at an angle ... never head on ... will remove salt and crap fast without damaging the paint.....and then wash in warm water with a mitt (changed every couple of months)....this "dont use a pressure washer" needs a rider "dont use a pressure washer on high, direct on dirty paint"..that I would agree with....unless its my wifes Honda!!!!! The above is all intended in good humor and not to slight anybody with garage queens or those that dont use their cars every day and dont use pressure washers......Its the time of good will...rememeber it!!!

Quick Reply: Recommendations on a pressure washer