Sponsored by:

oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 10:43 AM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil change question

i was told by a friend at a shop that the later year 993's have an access port on the rocker panel for draining the oil tank (i have a 95 C2) so i stopped a Porsche junkyard Friday to pick up a later model rocker panel. the ones they had marked 95 & 96 were identical. the fellow did show me the rocker from a turbo and S model with the access panel, but of course they don't fit the narrow bodied cars - so my question is this - is there a year of the narrow bodied 993 that has the access panel in the rocker panel?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty sure they all require partial removal to access the big oil filter and drain plug. When I didn an oil change on a buddy's '95, the drain plug was perpendicular to the ground. On my '96 it's parallel to the ground. That's the only difference I noticed. I did it on DHicks' '97 too, but can't remember how it looked. Either way, you need to remove the right rear wheel and plastic wheel well liner. Then you undo some of the screws, bolts and clips on the rear half of the rocker panel and peel it down. Don't be afraid - it won't break or crack.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:18 AM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks Rick - its not a big deal removing that rocker, but thought if there was a rocker with the access panel it'd be worth having (probably the holy grail now)
Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't imagine doing that job with just an access panel. That oil filter is the size of a 16 oz. beer and pulling that drain plug gets a heavy stream of oil shooting out. You want plenty of room to work there. Don't cut corners because whatever time you save there, you will spend cleaning up the mess.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:39 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

RS side skirts have an access panel that works pretty well. But that's obviously no simple bolt-on thing.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:22 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On wide-body 993's, there is an access panel (about 3" x 2") under the drain plug - and yes, the oil from the drain plug drains right out through that opening. You still have to pull back the wheel liner, etc to get to the long filter.

(Just did my annual 993-C4S oil change last weekend.)

Quick Reply: oil change question