Sponsored by:

Key Largo drive - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Key Largo drive - Pics

The morning weather was not very good, kind of foggy and dark, most of the guys got scared...just 5 cars showed up and we took off to Key Largo...surprisingly we did not have a single drop of rain and the weather got better and better...by the time we drove back to Miami, the sun was shining...

On our way back, we did stop by "The Collection" to check the Cayman up close and personal...check pics on the "Cayman event thread"...
Attached Images       
Old 12-10-2005, 06:34 PM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pedro, of the three generations of P-cars, side by side, yours is the most alluring. What was your impression of the Cayman?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Hi Mike...thanks for the compliment...I told the guys we had 4 decades of Porsche there a 1975 930...a 1984 930...my 1995 C2 Cab and Rico's 996...

The Cayman must be a very good car...personally, I don't feel the Porsche soul there...the one in the pictures had a window sticker for $71K...for that kind of money I'd get a great TT!!!

There was a 997 silver with cocoa leather interior ($4,000 optional), very unusual color combo that I liked a lot...not a 993 but I can almost feel the Porsche soul there!!! Also a GT with a great interior...check pics...

Take care...
Attached Images   
Old 12-10-2005, 07:32 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pics Pedro, looks like it was a fun time. As for me, I completely missed the run this morning; that makes one SBBC I've made, and two I've missed now...

Anyway, I did drive down to the Collection to see the Cayman, and it does look a little better in person than in pictures (what car doesn't, really).

However, I must echo Pedro's comments about the "soul" not being there. In fact, I'll go a step farther and say that, save for the CGT, the entire showroom was devoid of Porsche soul. This isn't a surprise coming from me, but it's the damn truth... between the 987s, 997s and the $107k Cayenne turbo on 22's as you walked in, I felt like a poseur just being there! Sit behind the wheel of any of those cars, and you might as well be in a Lexus. They just REEK of mass-production. They don't feel special. They aren't special.

I then walked into the Lotus showroom next door to take a peek, which reminded me just how dinky those cars are. Yeah they're light and handle well, but you're still talking about $50k for a toyota engine and the cheapest plastic this side of a Daewoo. Plus, the one I drove about a year ago was soft as a marshmallow, and it even had the sport package. Not a terribly impressive bargain, when you consider the price of a 914-6 conversion.

The drive back from miami in my 993 was great, by the way. I'm never selling this car
Old 12-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Hi pcar964...we missed you there...I hope to see u by the second week of January when we'll have our Key Biscayne event...exact date and place still to be confirmed but we hope to gather between 15 and 20 cars with the weather's help...

The most beautiful Porsche at "The Collection" was actually parked outside...a 1962 356B Cabriolet white/blue/blue top... did you see it?
Old 12-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Pedro,

Thanks for sharing... eventhough the group was small you guys had a very nice collection of cars. I love the Carrera with WA plate. BTW, how come it has WA plate?
Old 12-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Hi Tony...I don't really know as the owner (a Rennlist member) was unable to follow the caravan to Key Largo...he was at the meeting point only and we could not talk much...his car is a 1970 with a mean 3.2 engine and RS features...pretty nice car...

By the way I did apply to a personalized license plate last week...very close to your nickname "AIR KOL"...
Old 12-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Bogwan
Racer

For only having five show up, you got five beauties!
Old 12-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

By the way I did apply to a personalized license plate last week...very close to your nickname "AIR KOL"...
Niiiiiiccccceeee Pedro.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:41 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
Hi pcar964...we missed you there...I hope to see u by the second week of January when we'll have our Key Biscayne event...exact date and place still to be confirmed but we hope to gather between 15 and 20 cars with the weather's help...

The most beautiful Porsche at "The Collection" was actually parked outside...a 1962 356B Cabriolet white/blue/blue top... did you see it?
Hi Pedro, missing the drive ruined my weekend I will definitely try to make the Key Biscane run. I didn't see the 356B, I got there probably a little later than you guys. The highlights of my Collection visit were hearing the CGT drive up the ramp to park, and my drive back in my 993

Funniest part of the trip was looking at the Lotus in the showroom, I have never seen such pushy salesmen in an exotic car deaership in my life... I told them I was just looking, and they insisted on showing me a new Elise in the upper-level garage that was "just what I was looking for" By the end of the hour-long sales-pitch, he was actually trying to get me to leave a deposit because he "didn't know how long that one would last." Needless to say I was amazed at their behavior, but it was hilarious to play along with them and see how far I could take it - I had nothing else to do haha
Old 12-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Pedro,

I had an excellent time. The drive to and back from Key Largo was nice.
The breakfast meet was fantastic, talking about old and new Porsche.
Definitely count me in for Key Biscayne!
Hopefully my 911R replica will be ready.

Air Kuul,

That 1970 RS Replica belongs to Songhoh (Joe Collins).
It is one of the nicest early 911's I have seen.
He lives here in south florida, how ever his car has Washington tags.

Pcar,

Its strange to hear your experience with the sales staff at the collection.
The whole time we were there no one even approached us.
Of course we only went thru the Aston Martin and Ferrari showrooms
to get to the Porsche section.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:33 PM
24FPS
Drifting

sweet pedro ~ really nice group of cars. seeing your cab makes me miss my sport classic II rims. looked a little overcast there like l.a. was today (burnt off later). what time in the morning do you guys usually "hit it" @?

thx 4 the pic. any more of the C-GT?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by 24FPS
thx 4 the pic. any more of the C-GT?
Hi...just one more from the CGT...I'm also attaching one from the 1984 930's engine...a beauty! Only one owner...European delivery...
Attached Images   
Old 12-12-2005, 02:22 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rico

Its strange to hear your experience with the sales staff at the collection.
The whole time we were there no one even approached us.
Of course we only went thru the Aston Martin and Ferrari showrooms
to get to the Porsche section.

Rico, it was definitely strange. The salesmen in the Ferrari and Porsche sections were polite and coridal, and didn't try to initiate a sale, which is normally what you find at a high-end dealership. However, once I took a seat in the Elise, suddenly the salesman thought he had a buyer, even though I said I was just looking around. Usually I would politely decline his sales pitch and walk away, but I guess was a little bored... I still told him multiple times that I wasn't interested in buying anything, but he seemed to ignore me, just kept pushing how "rare" they are, and he "didn't know if I would find one like this again." Something you'd expect at a shady used car lot, not The Collection! haha

I can't wait to see your 911R replica, over the past month I've become obsessed with collecting info and pics on the '67-68 R's, I'm starting to think I'd prefer one of those to a '73 RS! What year car are you using as a base for your replica? Engine?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:25 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Nice Pedro, looks like you guys had fun. Great group of cars you had there. Don't ya just love gettin together with the guys and takin a run? FL has no mountains however... That must be very frustrating.

Quick Reply: Key Largo drive - Pics