Sponsored by:

Need starter help - DIY Procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005 | 05:23 PM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ron,
No problem accessing it with your lift. Trust me!

Lee,
Head to Ron's for wayyyyy easier access.

Andy
Old 12-09-2005 | 07:07 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
If you really have to remove the CV joint, inboard, you dont have to touch the outboard flange/hub area. I have to believe the starter can slide out without having to remove this.

The top nut is a internal wrenching allen and can be removed with a 10mm allen with a 3/8" socket drive. Not a big deal my friend. Just have to feel where it is. Closing your eyes helps
on my 79SC, the blind 10mm bolt was a show stopper. It was a 10mm hex barrel nut with a washer and whomever the technician was in Stutgardt the day my starter was installed added one too many washers. This reduced the amount of depth my 10mm hex socket had to grab and, being a blind bolt, I pretty much stripped the damn thing. Required an engine drop to get at. d'oh.
Old 12-09-2005 | 08:27 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

This reduced the amount of depth my 10mm hex socket had to grab and, being a blind bolt, I pretty much stripped the damn thing.
Would one of those bolt-outs that Sears sells now have worked?
Old 12-09-2005 | 10:24 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did not remove the starter, but I did have to remove the big allen head bolt on top of the starter to re-connect the ground wire. As I recall, I got to it with 1 extension, a swivel joint, 2 more extensions, and an allen socket. It was pretty easy with just jackstands in the garage.
Old 12-10-2005 | 05:26 PM
leeham
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ron, That is a great offer!!! I'm going to have to go away for a business trip for a week and then I may take you up on it.

BTW - A friend of mine suggested having someone else try starting the car while I watched the fan to make sure the engine was turning and not just the starter. (It sounds like the starter is not engaging the engine when I try to start it up.) 19 tries later, the starter has still not stumbled and the engine has started flawlessly every time. So far, out of about 30 attempts, it has only failed to grab three times. Maybe I'm rushing this a bit . . .

Thanks again to all you Renllisters for the help.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-12-2005 | 06:05 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you sign up try using the promotional code "DIY4FIVE1" that I just received this afternoon in an email from alldata. It is supposed to redeem to five years for the price of one.

Jason,

I used the code you gave and just added another car I bought off ebay last night. The price was $29.95 for 5 years, normally it would cost me at least $10 to add a car and usually $14.95.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Need starter help - DIY Procedure?