Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche factory 1994-1998 pictures...post them please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 05:49 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soltino
This thread has made me wonder if anyone, besides a "connected" person, has ever seen their Porsche being made?

tino
I don't know about seeing your own car being built. However, I do know that you can make arrangements to take delivery at the factory.
I was on a tour and with a group that was handed the keys to their new cars parked and waiting for them at the conclusion of the factory tour.
Saddly, I was 18 at the time and walked away empty handed. But it was still quite a experience.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:16 AM
drmrfi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
wow didnt know boxsters and caymans were made in Finland... i come here about once per month (in Helsinki right now), have never heard about a Porsche manufacturing plant in Finland, will have to see how far from Helsinki so maybe can take a tour next time... must not be too far, not much up north but Lapland with Sami tribes and Reindeer...cant imagine they have a factory up in that direction (?)
Valmet Automotive plant is in Uusikaupunki, in South-Western part of Finland on the West coast. About 150 miles from Helsinki.
Contact Finnish Porsche importer AutoCarrera www.autocarrera.com , they should be able to assist you regarding the factory visit or alternatively contact the plant directly: www.valmet-automotive.com

Mika
Old 12-10-2005, 11:41 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 344 Likes on 153 Posts

Pedro...

I have a few pictures we snapped outside of the factory when we took the tour in 1996. We actually snapped a picture of a prototype and were told in a very nice way, to put the camera away. The next day when we returned to the factory to purchase a few more models at the factory store, the shell of the car we took a picture of was covered up tight with plastic and tape to keep away prying eyes..... Anyway, I'll dig the pics up, scan and post them for you later.

JoAnne
Old 12-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Sweet!! I took that Photo of the 993!!! I think it was a rust test.. I was living in Munich and had some business in Stuggy-Town. I did a little factory-recon. I'll post the rest.. after I resize all of them it's a PITA.. >>

COleman.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:45 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Coleman
.. after I resize all of them it's a PITA.. >>

COleman.
Tell me about it. I've found a few and I can't get them to resize and upload to Rennlist for some reason. It's not like I haven't posted tons of pics here before. Maybe becuse they were scanned?? Heck!!!
The prototype we took the pic of was a 996. I also have a pic of a couple of 993's being driven back into the factory after their test drive. I think it's cool that we even got to see the 993's being built. Anyway, If I can't get them resized, I won't be posting them..... I ain't got all day, ya know what I mean???

J
Old 12-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

If someone wants to send them to me by email I can resize and post them. Email to nayeri@adelphia.net
Old 12-11-2005, 03:24 PM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been to the factory twice and once had the opportunity to do a tour. I was so excited about visting 'mecca' that I forgot most of it... thus the second trip The second trip is JUST as production of the 997 was starting... I hadn't seen a review or any pictures until I went there... thus I took a bunch of pictures.

You can see them here:

http://www.dennispi.com/gallery/PorscheFactory?page=1

The factory is very strict about allowing photographs within the production floors. I'm sure its partly because of trade secrets etc, but also because in Germany personal privacy is regarded as a "given". Pictures can't be taken without permission of the person who's picture is being taken. You can imagine how that would slow the production line.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

wow didnt know boxsters and caymans were made in Finland... i come here about once per month (in Helsinki right now), have never heard about a Porsche manufacturing plant in Finland, will have to see how far from Helsinki so maybe can take a tour next time... must not be too far, not much up north but Lapland with Sami tribes and Reindeer...cant imagine they have a factory up in that direction (?)

here is their Website, pretty good site actually.
Valmet Automotive

I haven't looked at it in a while but it used to have some great info on the building of the boxsters on it. They also Build Saab convertibles there (or used to) My former Boxster S was born in Finland at the Valmet plant.

there is an article in "911 and Porsche world" from a few years back called "perfect Finnish" that details the process at Valmet, it's a good read.

here is their first and one millionth car produced

Jon
Old 12-12-2005, 12:34 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

wow didnt know boxsters and caymans were made in Finland...
The original Boxster's were made in Stuttgart, we saw them in the factory in July of '96. Matter of fact, since our tour was the second to the last tour at the factory before their big summer holiday shut down, we were allowed to do the full factory tour for the first time that year. Until that time they were doing an shortened tour due to the production of the Boxster and all the secrecy. We saw them in every color. They looked like easter eggs on the production line line. Later Porsche started building the most the US destination Boxster's in Finland, then all the Boxsters except for the Boxster S. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I am certainly not a Boxster expert, but I think that all the Boxster's (including the S's) are now made in Finland. Yes, I am a women that loves to read and learn everything she can about Porsche's

Anyway, we are happy that we got to see the 993's being built, Shoot, we even saw some Carrera S's on the production line. I only wish we could have taken pictures during the tour, but at the same time I certainly can understand why it isn't allowed.

JoAnne
Old 12-12-2005, 05:07 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

When I took the tour this summer they noted that the car production lines can build any of the cars, and I think they said that they build some boxters in Stuttgart. I don't remember seeing any on the line, but wasn't checking, either - I was looking to see if any 997 TTs or C4s were being built (they were, I spotted two different front driveshaft assemblies :-) ).

Maybe just to say that they're built in both Germany and Finland?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts
Cool

Thank you JoAnne for digging these out! I've resized them for everyone's viewing pleasure. JoAnne, hope you don't mind, I quoted your description for each of the pics.....

1) a couple of 993's returning to the factory after their 1st road test. What a job!!
2) the prototype of the 996 that we tried to photograph the day before is at the top of the picture. Robert was told to put the camera away and then asked what he was was trying to take a picture of. Robert told him a 996 and the gentleman said "How do you know of such things"? Robert just answered, "Autoweek". We returned to the factory the next day and the Prototype was covered to keep prying eyes away.
3) The Boxster was on the production line when we toured in '96, but not released for sale. Robert snapped this shot and he was once again told it was a no, no. It was also covered the next day.
4) The bridge from the Assembly area to the Paint Shop. Look close and you'll see 993's and Boxsters.
Attached Images     
Old 12-13-2005, 03:57 AM
mkol1248
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some pictures of a chaotic 993 assembly in late 1996 or early 1997. Not sure if the first picture is a body of 993 or Boxter.
Attached Images         
Old 12-13-2005, 10:36 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Very cool pics! Thanks for sharing...
Old 12-13-2005, 10:44 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Excellent pictures! Here is my quick translation of the captions:

1) In the chassis assembly area, modern machines replace humans.

2) Building by hand on the slow-moving assembly line: the engine, and a parts cart on the right.

3) Man-made interior pieces, hand-assembled with glue and covered in leather.

4) Model types and colors fulfill the need for change on the assembly line.

5) A high level of craftsmanship is required for the interior assembly process.

6) After final assembly, the vehicles are measured with optical equipment on a rolling test bed.

7) After the engine and spray test, each vehicle enjoys a hand polishing.

I knew my first language would come in handy some day

Andreas
Old 12-13-2005, 10:51 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Those are great pics, and thanks for the translation. I took a semester of German, all I remember is the swear words...

Quick Reply: Porsche factory 1994-1998 pictures...post them please!