Sponsored by:

Cabriolet Top Motor Fuse Burnout

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:47 PM
95cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet Top Motor Fuse Burnout

I decided to open my top for the first time in two weeks. Latches didn't seem to release all the way or the top was stuck to the windshield frame some other way and motor stopped working. (Have had the motor recall done.) Tried to creep back home (was a couple miles away) but the latches or whatever else was "sticking" let go and freed the top to about 1 foot open above the windshield frame.

Not a good way to drive.

Figured one thing to check - fuse - it was burnt out. "Borrowed" one from seat power and top closed and latched. Won't be opening it again until I get some more fuses.

Any similar experiences? Solutions?
Old 12-03-2005, 12:49 AM
ernmony
Advanced

Keep a spare 6mm allen wrench to loosen the arms....
Old 12-03-2005, 01:04 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 217 Posts

I got so tired of dealing with top problems that I removed the 2 6mm allen bolts and now operate the top manually. The final breaking point for me was when the top broke at 180 straight up many miles from home with no allen wrench. Now I no longer worry about transmissions or cables.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:12 PM
95cab
Instructor

Thanks Ern and Chuck,
Where on the mechanism is the allen bolt that I loosen if this becomes more than a fuse problem?

Chuck,
How do you like that S4 Avant and do you think it's a real five-person car? Trying to figure out whether I'll be able to go that small when I replace the A6 or go with the Allroad or A6 again and my 3 kids need to fit. Not going to go with the latest version of the S4 ($$$).

Thanks
Old 12-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 95cab
Where on the mechanism is the allen bolt that I loosen if this becomes more than a fuse problem?
If you remove the panel that the rear speakers are mounted to you'll see the all of the hinges and arms. The allen bolts are about dead center. If you have a problem let me know and I'll post a photo.

Originally Posted by 95cab
How do you like that S4 Avant and do you think it's a real five-person car? Trying to figure out whether I'll be able to go that small when I replace the A6 or go with the Allroad or A6 again and my 3 kids need to fit. Not going to go with the latest version of the S4 ($$$). Thanks
My biggest complain about the car is the size. For my wife and I the car is fine. For two small children, the rear seat is fine. I believe that its too tight for 3 kids. For anyone over 5-5 it's too small. I was even thinking of looking for a used S6 Avant for the additional room. Besides that, it is one of the nicest problem free cars I have ever owned.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:42 AM
95cab
Instructor

Chuck,
Thanks for the pointers on the cab top. I need to try it again (in the garage now that it's snowing out). Will let you know if I need further assistance.

On the S4, I've heard great things about it as a driving car, but can't get by on too small a vehicle. Also think there's some value in a not-so-fast car for getting around so the pcar feels that much more fun when driving!
Thansk again.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Top Motor Fuse Burnout