Sponsored by:

Passed CA Smog with Flying colors at referree station

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:18 PM
touf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passed CA Smog with Flying colors at referree station

Thanks to all the advice from this forum and more specifically to Viperbob for the suggestion, I made an appt with a referree for today.
This is becasue I replaced my battery and couldn t get the damn readines codes set.
The Referree station was at a local community college in San Diego, I was a bit nervous about failing visual due to the Supercups and the fabspeed air filter cover.
Once I got there, the referee and 1 student were there. He was very welcoming and seemed very familiar with Porsches, he knew about the readiness codes, he asked if my car was a TT (I wished) becasue of the 4wd. He noticed the Tach being rotated and mentionned that my car was probably being used on a track ).
He ignored teh airfilter and mentionned that he was surprised that I haven t got any ticket with the supercup exhaust for loudness.

I felt really confortable with these guys although i got really nervous when the student stalled the car about 15 times trying to reverse into the roller platform. He really scared me cause he starting reving the engine higher and higher and letting go of the clutch. I could see my car ending up in the wall ((
Finally he got the car on and they started the tests.
The readiness codes were not set as expected and he over rode the failure on the paperwork.
Overall the emmissions were a bit higher than average but it was a pretty cool day and I imagine the car might have run a bit richer.
15 mins later we were all done and he gave me the certificate. The best part was the cost )

Again thanks to everyone on this forum for suggesting an appointment at a referee station.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:42 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Touf- Just for future knowledge which CC did you go to? Also, will you be at any auto-x's in the next couple of weeks. I'd love to hear your supercups as compared to my RSR's. I'm thinking about making the change. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:00 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

That's great Touf... Glad it worked for you. It is a lot less hassle and $$$ than anything else...
Old 11-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd like to also credit ViperBob for pointing the way on this. I just got smogged at a referee station last week. Had a long chat with the guys running the operation over there and both mentioned that this was a really smart thing to do. One story they told was of a lady who had problems with her Volvo and getting the codes set. She failed at a regular station, brought it into the dealership where they stated that they would have to reset the codes by driving it a couple of days. Long story short, she was basically shafted for alot of labor that she could have saved by going straight to the referee station.

It was a great experience and the guys were really friendly and inquisitive about the car. Lots of fun doing the visual inspection. I also had a bit of concern as well since I had the same experience as Touf...they had a tough time with stalling the car in reverse...took about 4 starts. I think the driver was sweating bullets with me being there and the fact that he was driving a higher line car. In the end though, it passed with flying colors....the test guys said the car is running really clean...good to know that the Techron is doing its job.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:15 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with readiness codes, and went to a waiver station, as they are called in Texas. They were thrilled to have a Porsche there, and spent most of the time gawking and asking questions etc. They were afraid to drive it, and had me pull it in and out etc. Passed easily, and was told "see you next year" as I left.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:55 PM
touf
Pro

Originally Posted by mac993
Touf- Just for future knowledge which CC did you go to? Also, will you be at any auto-x's in the next couple of weeks. I'd love to hear your supercups as compared to my RSR's. I'm thinking about making the change. Thanks.
Mac, I am leaving for a bus trip to China on Friday so I ll miss the upcoming Autox.
I can however meet you tommorrow somewheer in SD if u want to hear them.
As far as the CC, it was Southwestern College in Chula Vista.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:47 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Florida, We got Hurricanes but no Smog Checks anymore.
Chris
Old 12-01-2005, 09:50 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by c993k
Florida, We got Hurricanes but no Smog Checks anymore.
Chris
The Hurricanes just blow the smog out to sea every so often (like weekly).
Old 12-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

On the stalling issue: the same thing happened to me in AZ. The guys said they are used to driving pickup trucks and their clutch set up is much different. Sounds reasonable.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:07 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pjconner
On the stalling issue: the same thing happened to me in AZ. The guys said they are used to driving pickup trucks and their clutch set up is much different. Sounds reasonable.
When I had mine smogged I mentioned (nicley) to the guy that the
exhaust tips were expensive so please be careful with the probe.
Then he asked me if I would like to pull it on and off of the rack.
I said "sure"!
We were both more comfortable with that.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Reynard38
Pro

My first smog check here in Geogria my readiness codes were not set due to a new battery. Unfortunately we don't have referrees here, it's either pass or fail. I did get a waiver as the cost of repairs would have exceeded a specified amount. 6 months later the car passed no problem.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:21 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Touf- Thanks for the offer but I'm at work all day. Maybe we'll hook up when you get back. Enjoy China!!

Quick Reply: Passed CA Smog with Flying colors at referree station