Sponsored by:

West Coast Track Days after TracQuest

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 04:42 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Default West Coast Track Days after TracQuest

I was talking to the guys who run NCRC a couple of weeks ago at the TracQuest event at Sears Point. Since I'm a Porsche driver, and since TracQuest traditionally had a lot of Porsches attend its events, they were interested in how their group could attract or maintain the involvement of the Porsche community as TracQuest became a part of NCRC.

I had some definite opinions. I liked the way Todd ran TracQuest, by and large, and the way TracQuest was a place where high end cars could run without too much worry about some Yahoo clubbing into them out on the track. I thought TracQuest had some very good instructors -- to the extent that novice participants generally felt comfortable handing over their keys in order to get a sense what their car was capable of.

I suggested that that NCRC become site sponsors of Rennlist, for starters. But the discussion also got me thinking that it would be interesting to hear what other 911 drivers thought about TracQuest, and what goes into making a track day group appealing to the 911 demographic.

I don't have any financial involvement with either group (although I've instructed for both). Just speaking personally, I'd like to see more Porsches at all the events I attend.

Any opinions out there on what made TracQuest appealing and how it could be improved in the hands of its new owners?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also enjoyed both TracQuest and NCRC events. I've also instructed for/with both.

I thought the things that made TracQuest different were the emphasis on good food and the dinners with wine tasting. The activities attracted a slightly different group of folk (those more willing to pay for the differences and usually those with more expensive cars). I believe that as Todd found it difficult to get the numbers necessary to support this "style" of event, he started the "no frills" registration. I thought the flavor of the events changed a bit after this (still great, just a bit different). I think Todd's desire to get people to be able to run in multiple groups (and hence a big jump in track time) is shared by Luc and Dave at NCRC.

I've always felt that NCRC and TracQuest were not very dissimilar. They are certainly different than TrackMasters or NASA events I have attended. At TrackMasters or NASA, the folk with the more expensive cars were much more concerned with the other drivers as there was more acceptance by those organizations of what would be "bad" behavior at NCRC or TracQuest (for example, a guy going 4-wheels off twice in each session in back-to-back sessions due to what I would characterize as reckless driving barely got any reprimand with NASA even though the guy was in HPDE-3). There was a lot of grumbling about poor driving in some groups by the Porsche and BMW folk at the TrackMasters event at Buttonwillow in Oct '04.

What I like about both NCRC and TracQuest is the attempt to get the various "cliques" to intermingle. Todd accomplished it by the relaxed, lengthly dinners that encouraged different groups to talk to each other (and forced it by smaller tables at times). The dinners lasted longer than a typical track BBQ with beer, were quiet so you could have a conversation, and had Todd running around with wine encouraging people to taste and talk about it. NCRC encourages folk to interact with the somewhat silly, but entertaining, "relay races" just after lunch.If your team is a Miata, a Porsche and some other model car, you may end up talking to folk that you normally would not pit with.

I think that any organization should try to ensure that all drivers respect the other drivers and that reckless driving is immediately and forcefully dealt with. Activities that encourage interaction among the various groups at the event help promote the respect and consideration of others - you are much less likely to try an inappropriate move/pass when the other car is someone you know.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:02 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree about the two groups being pretty similar. Neither provides just a bare-bones track day, like most other track organizations.

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right about the way a dinner will get guys from different marques to talk. In the paddock, everyone's so focused on their cars that socializing can seem either superfluous, distracting or both. But even at the NCRC dinners, most of those barriers disappear. I remember talking to a group of guys at a dinner at the Reno event (I'm pretty sure it was Reno) and realizing your exact point. In the paddock, these guys and I wouldn't have any natural starting point for conversation. At dinner, it turned out we had a lot to talk about.

More of that would probably be a good thing. I've got my preconceptions, the same as anyone else. But when you actually talk to the 'crazy guy in the Mustang', you usually realize he's a car guy, just like yourself (okay, well, almost -- he's probably driving a solid axle car).
Old 12-04-2005, 01:20 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Jack,

I've found Porsche drivers to me quite mature and enjoy the friendship and camaraderie associated with Porsche ownership as much as actually driving them on the track. So encourage driver interaction by allowing passengers and running up and down groups. Provide plenty of instruction for the lower run groups and optional in the advanced groups. Allow a place for friendly competition. Form working partnerships with various Porsche Club regions to help them run successful track events. Strictly enforce the rules so that the participants feel comfortable at the events.

I never want to see NCRC prices soar to those charged by TracQuest. I didn't participate in the TracQuest dinners and wine tasting events because of time constraints. I don't think that NCRC needs to reinvent itself. Many TracQuest members are likely members of NCRC such as myself.

Tom really puts it together well.

Quick Reply: West Coast Track Days after TracQuest