Sponsored by:

Track Tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 12:07 PM
ZdSport
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Tools

For all those of you who take your cars out on track days, what make/model of tire temp (probe style pyrometer) and lap timer do you use?

I'm want to get my father-in-law a couple of tools for Christmas to enhance his track day experiences (he runs with NASA in Ohio). I'm looking for something fairly basic - I know Longacre has a basic temp probe for ~$100 and an AIM based lap timer for ~$250. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm more familiar with Champcar kit i.e. Pi data loggers etc., and I don't want to get him junk.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Longacre memory pyrometer and currently use a Hotlap timer in addition to an AMB transponder. I looking at moving to a data acquisition system and replacing the hotlap.

To make reasonable recommendations, I think we really need more information. For example, I believe that the pyrometer isn't much use unless you actually plan to make changes in camber (or other alignment settings) based on it. Out here the Hotlap is the main timer used in DEs. If you have a hot lap receiver, you usually will not need to worry about the sender, one of the folk associated with the event will usually have put one out (or one person volunteers during the drivers meeting).

Does your father-in-law race or just do occasional DEs?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:56 PM
944racer
Intermediate

Longacre laser thermometer or something like that... and the Hotlap setup, works great...
Old 11-30-2005, 03:50 PM
ZdSport
Track Day

Well,

I just want something basic in terms of a way to get the temp gradient across his tires because he's always calling me up for setup advice, but I can't really steer him in the right direction without any feedback. He mainly does the DE days at Nelson Ledges, but will also hit Mid Ohio, IRP in Indy and a couple of other places I can't quite remember.

As for the timing system - again, I just don't know what is used by club racers or what is the 'defacto standard' at these tracks. I would assume most places have an AMB system, but he never seems to have laptimes so I'm assuming that it isn't available to him. I'm thinking just something where he can put out a beacon and have a receiver he can move between cars so that he can get basic laptimes (no splits or anything).

Down the road, I would probably hook him up with a Pi system, but he's not quite ready for that!

Thanks
Old 11-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts

Longacre Digital probe, memory nice but not necessary...

AIM is nice...it works well.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I have a basic pyrometer from Longacre. I'm not sure if they make it anymore, but it works just fine for me and wasn't too costly.

Quick Reply: Track Tools