The RS Slope...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:28 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The RS Slope...

So I've decided that the turbo tail the PO put on my car just wasn't quite right for me anymore. So thanks to Flying Finn for selling me his original, guards red decklid base, and then I added some "extras" on top, now I feel much better about things...

Now... what's next. Some RS side skirts are in order I think.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:37 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great Brian. Well done. Maybe it is just the pic, but do you not have a sunroof?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:50 AM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good Brian. What did you end up doing with your turbo tail?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:57 AM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll reiterate the prior posts - Looks great, are they the Kinesis Supercups? Hold on to your hat when you order the side skirts.....Ouch!

Andy
Old 11-29-2005, 11:58 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brian... really, really great. Where'd you get the tail? I look forward to my trip down the same slope!
Old 11-29-2005, 12:04 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Very nice Brian. Side skirts would look great too.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:10 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

Sunroof - yes. Just a tough glare on top of the car washing it out in the photo.

My old turbo tail is currently... as my wife puts it... "TAKING UP MY PARKING SPOT!!!" (One guards red, I think aftermarket, TT tail now on the block.)

Yup on the Kinesis Supercups.

I got the RS tail from Vertex - which only handles the order for BetterBodies as it turns out. It is a fiberglass unit, but fits VERY nicely. The hardest part was getting that #%&!@* motorized spoiler out. What a pain! I - achem - did the paint job myself but kind of rushed it. It is a 10 foot job. I'll have to spend some more time fine tuning the little imperfections. Paint from paintscratch.com - nice color match.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:01 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian,
Your car looks great! I never have liked the Turbo tails when compared to the RS or RSCS tails. I have known the guys at Better Bodies for about 15 years and their quality and fit is second to only the factory. They are delivering an RSCS/ Cup tail & GT-2 front splitter to me today and I'll be doing the same motorized tail removal this weekend. What did you have problems with in removing the old one?

I also recommend installing the cold air intake that Carnewal has for 993's ($21.00 US) with fixed tails. It will bring a lot more fresh air to the intake.

I agree with vuugti about the side skirt prices, PCNA has them available for $1100.00 delivered and Gert has them for $875.00 delivered so they are not a cheap add on to the car and are going to be the second to last thing on my RSCS conversion.

By the way where did you get your Kinisis wheels? and how much?
ZP44
Joel Bowman

Last edited by ZombiePorsche44; 11-29-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:05 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Joel.
Good point about the RS intake - the RS wing looks a little more restricted than the wide open turbo tail.

For the motorized tail removal, I had to undo the bolt that did the middle hinge on the mechanism arms. The motor, when closed, effectively clamped itself around the opening on the base. It just took me some time figuring out how many bolts to undo. If I had to put the motorized wing BACK IN the base, I don't think I'd make any guarantees.

Supercups came from Wheel Enhancement last summer. Nice guys. I think my offset is too far inboard though. I need some more "stuff" to fill out those wheel wells. Looks kind of narrow don't you think?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Cy
Racer

Zombie,

Before I installed my RS tail I looked at the complexity of removing the motorized wing and just decided to get a new engine cover. That way if I ever needed to convert back to the motorized wing it's simple to unbolt the RS wing and engine cover at the hinges and bolt on the old engine cover.

I considered purchasing a new fiberglass engine cover from MA Shaw, however, I ended up buying a minor crash repaired engine cover from eBay for $50. The $50 was very well spent in my opinion when you look at the time it would take to get all of the motorized wing parts off. And as Brian mentions, I would hate to try and put all of those parts back on some day . . . what a nightmare.

Also, not sure whether you're thinking of reusing the black grill insert from your motorized wing, but it's not likely that you'll be able to successfully remove the grill. They tend to be attached fairly well with glue, and when weakened with the heat from the engine and sun over many years, are likely to break on removal (or you'll have to hack up the motorized parts to get it out). If it breaks you're then your stuck with having to buy a new one anyway. The new grill from Porsche was only $110 3 years ago so again, it's not very expensive to start with a new one.

Regards,
Old 11-29-2005, 02:57 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RS slope looks Really Slippery.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by viperbob
That looks great Brian. Well done. Maybe it is just the pic, but do you not have a sunroof?
Moarf.. knew you'd look at the details.. Big Reds are also amiss

You got the color right and the concept is getting there.

Now a short glance at the **** herself
Attached Images   
Old 11-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Brian -

Your car is simply FINE!

Scott
Old 11-29-2005, 03:29 PM
jhale
Pro

Brian, your car looks great. I too am in the midst of completing the RS exterior conversion. I haven't pulled the trigger on the tail yet because I have been shopping vendors. How would you compare the quality of the Vertex RS wing vs MASHAW RS Wing?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:45 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Joel- I too am getting ready to do an RS kit. Where in SD are you getting the paint work done? TIA

Quick Reply: The RS Slope...