Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear-facing, back seat Infant Seat for 993?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 02:25 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear-facing, back seat Infant Seat for 993?

I have reviewed the archives and cant seem to find an answer...

While I do not plan to use my 993 as a family car, I would like to (on occasion) go for a sunday ride with both wife/kid, or at least kid

He is 7 months old, 24 lbs, and still needs to be rear facing and ideally in the back. This is becoming quite the source of conversation at our house and I would really like to find a solution that keeps my 993 in the garage.

Has anyone successfully installed a rear-facing infant seat in the back of their 993?

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:15 PM
mingson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to remove the rear seat and move the front passenger seat up quite a bit. If your wife is more than 5'3", it will be only you and your daughter. I used the evenflo snap in infant seat and now I use the Roundabout by Britax (facing forward). Your baby is old enough and heavy enough to seat forward facing, you may just want to wait for that.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:26 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mingson
You have to remove the rear seat and move the front passenger seat up quite a bit. If your wife is more than 5'3", it will be only you and your daughter. I used the evenflo snap in infant seat and now I use the Roundabout by Britax (facing forward). Your baby is old enough and heavy enough to seat forward facing, you may just want to wait for that.
thanks for the info.... its a "he", not "she"... and while he is a butter-ball in size, our doc says that the baby should really be rear-facing for safety at this age...

my wife is tall at 5'10", so at best I could have my son with me, but even then sounds like a pretty awkward job to setup for the back seat... I might just need to convince her that a third car is needed...

right now, she is lobbying pretty hard for a newer 911 (like a 996 c4s for perceived safety) or a GT-type like an M3 or S4....I wonder if an infant seat fits better rear facing in a 996? I hope the answer is no, or that will give her a little more ammo
Old 11-27-2005, 04:48 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

My 2 cents: rear facing is good, for as long as possible, even if that means taking the sedan instead of the 993. My wife wasn't really comfortable with the kids in the 993 until they were in booster-style seats, she feared that in an accident the stretch of the regular belts + the kid-seat belts would be dangerous given the close proximity of the front seat back (ie, kid and front seat adult collide) and the likelihood of the seat back failing.

That said, in the pic below my son (driver's side) is in a Century Brevarra car seat, non-booster :-)

I rode in a friend's 997 recently, there's not much more room in those so no fear of trading in. Ride out the infant time and then get them into the 993 ASAP! My daughter is 10 now and is starting to outgrow the back, my 8 year old son will soon follow. Our 4 person, 750 mile trip back from picking up the new 993 was a long time for them to sit back there.

NB: I have a couple of Brevarras that are set up as boosters. Free to anyone in the DC area.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rear-facing, back seat Infant Seat for 993?