Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Gasket MAJOR PITA!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005 | 03:54 PM
slapshot
Racer

Default Valve Cover Gasket MAJOR PITA!

Come on guys, sure the easy bolts are easy, but how on God's green earth do you get any kind of leverage for those last two on the other side of the heat exchanger. I have tried EVERYTHING to get leverage including ratchets, allen wrench keys (all of which bent or stripped), allen wrench keys attached to vice grips, wrenches, pliars and other various and sundry DIY devices, cut down allen wrench ends inserted in sockets, etc. Explain to me without taking off the heat exachangers (even a bigger PITA) how you manage to get leverage enough to torque these bolts down, much the less get a torque wrench even near those last two? What am I missing? A discrete amount of C-4 or Symtex? I just don't get it.
Old 11-25-2005 | 04:31 PM
slapshot
Racer

Ah, never mind! Industry leads to innovation. The heat exchanges took 15 minutes to take off! Alles Gut!
Old 11-25-2005 | 07:27 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

A long allen socket with a ball on the end so that you can come in from an angle into the head. Just for future reference.
Old 11-25-2005 | 09:46 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I use (for the aft two bolts near the exchanger) a simple L-wrench, non ball with a combo wrench slid-onto the end of the L-wrench for leverage. An extension if you will.
Old 11-25-2005 | 09:51 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

I did mine like Chris mentioned as shown in the picture for better leverage. I borrowed the picture from one of the previous posts as an example.
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2005 | 10:32 PM
slapshot
Racer

Thanks guys! Genuinely, always a blessing to get real world feeback. I don't know about you but, man, once the heat exchanger is removed it is an absolute piece of cake. Simple. Zero aggravation.

Thanks for the picture Jason, but that has to be the upper valve cover, no? My recent challenge was with the bottom dwellers and that nasty heat exchanger mouth. However, I get how you used the L wrench. Thanks!

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. And thank you all for sharing as other mechanically wayward souls like me will read this down the line!

CW: One day I will tell you the whole story of the syncros. 1st and 2nd still a little notchy. Galen and I are trying to get it right next week, swapping Swepco for Mobile 1!

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gasket MAJOR PITA!