Sponsored by:

Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
The problem is the direction most automakers are heading, including Porsche, which is effectively minimizing the driver in the equation... Is a 996 chassis faster around a given circuit than a 993? Yes. But it's so easy to drive, there's nothing to it. And again I might be in the minority here because I enjoy being on the "ragged edge," and even the 993 isn't a very demanding car imho. But every year, they get easier and easier to drive.

Let's say you have an old guy taking an onramp at 60mph in a '69 911S, and a soccer mom driving a 997S right behind him. As the old guy exits the corner with maybe a bead of sweat on his forehead and his heart beating slightly faster, a big smile comes to his face, he's one with the car.

Now they both took the same turn at the same speed, but one person got more from the experience... and if you aren't in it for the experience, then why buy a sportscar in the first place?
perhaps i'm missing the point here. aren't they supposed to be easier to drive at similar speeds? i have to be honest and say if my 997 was as unpredictable as some of the earlier 911 chassis' were, then i'd have to wonder what the hell porsche has been doing. take your example to the extreme and substitute the 997s with a mclaren/mercedes f1 car.

the point here is quite simple. go faster. if the 69 911s is starting to twitch at 60mph, maybe the 997s needs to be going 85mph to have the same feeling. how is this bad? EVERY car gets the heart beating when driven good and proper. some just get to that point at slower speeds...right?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:37 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Traffic53
perhaps i'm missing the point here. aren't they supposed to be easier to drive at similar speeds? i have to be honest and say if my 997 was as unpredictable as some of the earlier 911 chassis' were, then i'd have to wonder what the hell porsche has been doing. take your example to the extreme and substitute the 997s with a mclaren/mercedes f1 car.

the point here is quite simple. go faster. if the 69 911s is starting to twitch at 60mph, maybe the 997s needs to be going 85mph to have the same feeling. how is this bad? EVERY car gets the heart beating when driven good and proper. some just get to that point at slower speeds...right?
Well, no... first of all, I have never driven an "unpredictable" car. What's unpredictable about old 911s? I don't understand...

And not every car gets the heart beating when driven fast - if you think driving a 997 on the limit is every bit as involving/fun as driving a 930 at the limit, then you and I have different definitions of what is fun. What about a Lexus driven at the limit? If you can equate every car in terms of "getting your heart beating," then why don't you buy a sedan or SUV and not have to bother with limited space and utility in the Porsche?

You say it's "all about going faster," but again I would rather have the back end out on a 69 911S on an onramp, than take it at the same speed in a 997 without even a chirp from the tires. Obviously you get more enjoyment out of driving a car that covers up your mistakes and demands little respect. Personally, I don't get it, but to each his own.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:42 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pcar964,

You speak with the overconfident and judgmental air of a 24 year old grad student. Are you also a TA? Ahhh, I remember those days when I used to know better.

TD
Old 12-01-2005, 07:01 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acually TD in DC, I'm with pcar964 on this one. Driving the 993 near the "edge" is a more visceral thrill than taking the 997 through the same sequence. The seven is composed, smooth, planted, and powerful; but not raw. At the track, raw is fun; albeit not always fast (particularly me) and maybe not as safe. Many of my students are blessed/cursed with smooth powerful cars that most will never learn to drive near/at the "lmit". Hell, same thing is true of "our" 993's when compared the the older "primitive" P-cars (no disrespect, only admiration).

In an attempt to try and stay near topic, the new miata I test drove last night offered a suspension upgrade for $500 that included a LSD. My understanding is that a LSD is not avaiable option on the cayman.

Thanks
Jack
Old 12-01-2005, 07:14 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TD in DC
pcar964,

You speak with the overconfident and judgmental air of a 24 year old grad student. Are you also a TA? Ahhh, I remember those days when I used to know better.

TD
haha, guilty as charged - but that doesn't mean I'm wrong
Old 12-01-2005, 07:16 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Acually TD in DC, I'm with pcar964 on this one. Driving the 993 near the "edge" is a more visceral thrill than taking the 997 through the same sequence. The seven is composed, smooth, planted, and powerful; but not raw. At the track, raw is fun; albeit not always fast (particularly me) and maybe not as safe. Many of my students are blessed/cursed with smooth powerful cars that most will never learn to drive near/at the "lmit". Hell, same thing is true of "our" 993's when compared the the older "primitive" P-cars (no disrespect, only admiration).

In an attempt to try and stay near topic, the new miata I test drove last night offered a suspension upgrade for $500 that included a LSD. My understanding is that a LSD is not avaiable option on the cayman.

Thanks
Jack
Jack,

I am not arguing the enjoyment factor behind a raw sportscar. I have made my love of 993s no secret, and I have also made it clear that I enjoy my 150 hp n/a 944 on the track more than I enjoy my 325 hp 996. In many aspects, you are preaching to the choir. In fact, I bought the 944 specifically because it had less HP, no ABS, no power steering, no PSM, and that raw feeling that is a blast. I am with you.

I was referring to pcar964s manner of responding to people. I am sure he is a great guy. I never make my mind up about people completely based on the Internet. In fact, if you see what I said to him, I didn't even insult him. Nonetheless, he speaks as if he has driven every p-car to the limit. If he were Hurley Haywood, I would listen intently (although I still would not appreciate the tone). I doubt that many of us, including specifically me, has the talent to drive our cars consistently at the limit for significant periods of time. When I hear people claim that they do, particularly if it appears that they have not had "that" much experience at "that" many tracks, it makes me wonder where is the basis for the bravado? Also, it might be fun to drive a 993 at the limit, but his description of driving the 997 at the limit is just wrong. If the tires are not squeeling and chirping on the 997, you are just not at the limit. I imagine it would take equal skill to drive both cars at the limit, but the 997s limit is simply higher. He denigrates entire groups of drivers and their motivations for purchasing P-cars with no basis for his insults.

I view it this way. I have the ability to appreciate the qualities of most, if not all, P-cars. Oh sure, I have my favorites, but I sorta like them all. In that sense, it is sorta like women. I have my favorites (i.e., my wife), but I can certainly appreciate many, many for their own qualities. So, when I hear someone talking about how they only appreciate one woman's qualities, it makes me wonder if they really like women. See what I mean?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:17 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

haha, guilty as charged - but that doesn't mean I'm wrong
So was I at one time, but now my vices have changed (er, matured).
Old 12-01-2005, 07:31 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TD in DC
So was I at one time, but now my vices have changed (er, matured).

by the way, the taillights on the green car in your signature, looks like a 911R - I can't imagine that's a REAL 911R though, only 22 were made!! Either way, looks great

speaking of a 911R...
http://www.endorphin.com/stories/porsche_911r.php
Old 12-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

You say it's "all about going faster," but again I would rather have the back end out on a 69 911S on an onramp, than take it at the same speed in a 997 without even a chirp from the tires. Obviously you get more enjoyment out of driving a car that covers up your mistakes and demands little respect. Personally, I don't get it, but to each his own.
This is not what Mike/traffic is saying at all. This is what he said:

if the 69 911s is starting to twitch at 60mph, maybe the 997s needs to be going 85mph to have the same feeling.
He is saying that the 997 can offer the same at-the-limit thrill as an older 911 but at a higher speed, a premise that I, generally, agree with.

Actually, I'm not even sure what the point of your post is, other than to snub your nose at those who aren't always driving at the limit like Stuck or Villeneuve, an approach that you exhibit with an at-once fascinating and tiresome regularity, and that which is patently arrogant, as are quite a few of your posts in this thread or, dare I say it, quite a few of your posts on this board.

You're...you're not Colorchange, are you? ( )

Old 12-01-2005, 09:55 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
This is not what Mike/traffic is saying at all. This is what he said:

He is saying that the 997 can offer the same at-the-limit thrill as an older 911 but at a higher speed, a premise that I, generally, agree with.

Actually, I'm not even sure what the point of your post is, other than to snub your nose at those who aren't always driving at the limit like Stuck or Villeneuve, an approach that you exhibit with an at-once fascinating and tiresome regularity, and that which is patently arrogant, as are quite a few of your posts in this thread or, dare I say it, quite a few of your posts on this board.

You're...you're not Colorchange, are you? ( )

As much as I like this forum, some people make it an absolute chore to state an opinion. You are one of those people. What's tiresome to me is when someone takes things too personally.

This is supposed to be a forum for Porsche enthusiasts. Porsches are cars. I didn't realize car guys could be so insecure and sensitive.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Now, now, pcar, I was just stating my opinion. And, who's taking things too personally, Mr. Thick-Skinned & Secure?

I call it like I see it. <shrug>

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 12-01-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:22 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirt Track Racer
How's the repair coming? Did insurance cover it?
LOL !!! Hi EJ......you ain't got the ***** to post under your real screen name so you use an alias too huh ? Chicken ****.

So lemme guess, it was you who called the bogus tip into my insurance co. ? 'Preciate that fat boy.

Turns out not only did insurance cover the repair in full. (I'll have the 4S back in a few weeks) I was able to secure alternate coverage for less than what I was paying before !!!! Go figure.

I guess I owe you a big "thanks" huh ? Feel free to bring yourself down to Richmond so I can offer my appreciation.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hm... I heard about your wreck & discussion of different possible stories to tell your insurance company, too.

Does that mean I called in a bogus tip, too?

I've got a feeling you can find a lot of Spartacus' out there.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW - do you threaten people with violence as often, IRL, as you do on the internet?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:00 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

By the nature of your post Robert, one would think you believe it was a Rennlister who called in a bogus tip ??

No, it doesn't mean you called it in. But then again, you're not posting under an alias are you ?

There's definitley a short list of folks who could have sought revenge. However, the caller didn't take into consideration I'd tell the truth to my insurance co. Which I did and in doing so had the best possible outcome take place.

So, whatever vendetta the caller sought out to achieve...... backfired.

Quick Reply: Cayman S