immobilised!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 09:09 AM
indian porker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gabi,
Just realised we both have identical cars...wish mine worked :-(
Will check the wires under the fuse box ; re DME, I always thought its for the fuel pump and not starter motor which does not apply here since its not cranking at all. Is that correct?
Before replacing the DME relay, she had reluctant starts with low idle speeds. Even now, after reaching normal oper. temp, she idles at ~500. Have a spare ISV which I was going to replace soon anyway. No connection with this problem right?
Is there any way of dis-engaging the immobilizer to check? Am sure its not easy for obvious reasons. Big problem here is the first OPC in Mumbai has no clue since they have been appointed less than a year ago and still without a service centre...
Old 11-24-2005, 09:17 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not too sure about else what the DME relay would effect, but if there are loose wires it could effect more than one thing. As far as I know (and I am no expert) the starter motor is at the back of the engine bay and hard to get to. I am sure that there would be some electrical meter tests that you could do, hopefully someone will chime in with some pointers there.

I am not aware of any way to disable the drive block, it may be possible, but I wouldn't have thought it would be easy because of its purpose.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:37 AM
indian porker
Advanced

Just spoke to OPC Hatfield and they don't beleive its the starter motor as there is no clicking while turning the key. They pointed to the ignition switch behind the ignition barrel or the immobilizer not sending a signal. Will have a tinker first thing tomorrow and update.
Many thanks
Old 11-24-2005, 09:43 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Good luck with it, I hope you get your car working.

Mine is in the bodyshop at the moment, so I'm without a 993 to drive too, annoying isn't it!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:06 AM
indian porker
Advanced

Got her started today!! bypassed the starter relay to check for crank which she did and then bypassed the dme relay and presto - she started! The immobilizer control unit has failed which is the reason why there was no feed to the starter and dme relay.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:19 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Interesting, how is it bypassed and how much are they going to charge you to replace it?

I guess it's always handy to know, especially if they are prone to fail.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sometimes the immobiliser does not make contact and you have to wait a few minutes before trying again or else it keeps itself shut. I assume all your other electrics are working? We've just had a problem with my wife's car where it appeared to be the immobiliser shutting everything down but was in fact a poorly connected power lead on the battery that was intermittently cutting off the power. I assume you have checked all relevant fuses and have checked for adequate charge on the battery? (just trying to tick off the easy bits!).

When it is running how scary is it running the car on those roads? I was in India few years back and the roads were appalling, worse than New York! ;-)

Good luck.

Cheers,

David
Old 11-29-2005, 09:34 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry Guys,

Must have missed those last posts. I'm glad that you got it sorted.

Cheers,

David
Old 12-01-2005, 05:48 AM
indian porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Caveman
Sometimes the immobiliser does not make contact and you have to wait a few minutes before trying again or else it keeps itself shut. I assume all your other electrics are working? We've just had a problem with my wife's car where it appeared to be the immobiliser shutting everything down but was in fact a poorly connected power lead on the battery that was intermittently cutting off the power. I assume you have checked all relevant fuses and have checked for adequate charge on the battery? (just trying to tick off the easy bits!).

When it is running how scary is it running the car on those roads? I was in India few years back and the roads were appalling, worse than New York! ;-)

Good luck.

Cheers,

David
Its an absolute nightmare ; you need a pair of eyes for the road, a pair to look back, a pair to look for potholes and a pair left & right for cars & bikes coming close to you to hear the engine
Old 12-01-2005, 05:52 AM
indian porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by GabiOsz
Interesting, how is it bypassed and how much are they going to charge you to replace it?

I guess it's always handy to know, especially if they are prone to fail.
We gave power directly into the dme relay and then the starter relay by removing the relays and working with a simple wire with the two ends exposed. Not sure of the cost but hope its not too much...there was an option to keep it bypassed forever but thought it wise not to

Will let you know this coming tuesday

Quick Reply: immobilised!