Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a cheap 96 C2 Cab on Autotrader...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 09:24 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a well known scam. They get a legit car off e-bay and "copy-paste" into autotrader and change the phone, price, etc.

Look at the line: " THIS IS IT! BID ON THIS BEAUTIFUL PORSCHE 911 CARRERA WITH TOTAL CONFIDENCE...YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! "

Notice it says "bid" with confidence...well...you don't "bid" in autotrader. That's a straight copy from a legit e-bat auction.

Once you get in contact with the seller, he gives you this story about the car that is almost sold to someone else, blah..blah...for that price will go quick..blah..blah...they need to sell quick..blah..blah...but whoever gets their deposit in first gets the car..blah..blah. So you rush your $1K or $2K deposit to some MoneyGram acccount and then you don't hear from them again.

Run Forest Run...
Old 11-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the Carfax people and more importantly THEIR LAWYERS wanted to shut down this board because they (Carfax) were denied revenue because this board allowed this type of activity (running reports for others) THEY COULD!

Is it just me or does it chap your hide when someone considering the purchase of what many consider an "expensive / excessive" sports car resorts to asking others to save them fifteen bucks to run a Carfax?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Byron_944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Howdy993
If the Carfax people and more importantly THEIR LAWYERS wanted to shut down this board because they (Carfax) were denied revenue because this board allowed this type of activity (running reports for others) THEY COULD!

Is it just me or does it chap your hide when someone considering the purchase of what many consider an "expensive / excessive" sports car resorts to asking others to save them fifteen bucks to run a Carfax?
I'm very sorry, I didnt realize that when I ran the carfax...I was just trying to help

What you say makes lots of sense, next time I'll think before I jumpstart the carfax...

And I edited my original post and took it down.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Porphil
Advanced

The other car I had mentioned, the salvage one with supposedly only bumper and tailpipe damage, has closed in the eBay bidding at just over $24,000. There were 35 bids. It would be fun, and maybe instructive, to hear more of that story, if anyone here knows anything.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:34 AM
MGV993
Track Day

Originally Posted by Howdy993

You do have a good point about them shutting down the board... sorry. Wouldn't want that to happen.

I don't exactly see a 993 as an excessive/expensive car. In all due respects, it's a cheap supercar. And Elise costs more, and has the same stats ('cept for the roadhandling).

Usually with these kinds of scams you get an email along the lines of 'Well, my employer relocated me overseas, and it'll be impossible for me to register the car there, so I need to sell it fast. Just send a $5000 deposit through escrow, and come pick it up when you wish...'. I didn't see get one of those, but I guess all the other red flags just went right over my head.

Thanks anyway...

Quick Reply: Found a cheap 96 C2 Cab on Autotrader...