Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk sound...Ujoint, Bearing..or Worse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005 | 10:59 PM
Porscheologist
Racer

Angry Clunk sound...Ujoint, Bearing..or Worse?

For a while now I have noticed a single clunk from my right rear suspension when I accelerate from a stop. The more aggressive the acceleration the louder the clunk. I even hear it on occasion in second or even third gear if I let off the gas(unload the suspension) between shifts and then accelerate aggressively. If I accelerate like a minivan then I hear no sound. I suspect the UV joint. Or could this be something else like a bearing? Your opinions are very appreciated. This one is starting to really bug me.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. My car has 70k on it and is a C2 six speed.

Alex
Old 11-17-2005 | 11:28 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Before you spend money, lift the car and check all the bolts on the rear sway bar and the mounting points. It's been a while but I recall having that clunk on my 95 993 and it was one of the rubber bushing things that hold the rear bar in place. The bolt had come loose and the rubber grommet had moved. I tightened the bolts and problem was solved. I sold the car in 2004 when I got the Gt3.
Old 11-18-2005 | 01:05 AM
Porscheologist
Racer

Thanks Bob for the quick reply. I am going to do all the belts this weekend so I will check that out and see. Maybe I'll get lucky!

Any other ideas?
Old 11-18-2005 | 01:16 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Well.................

one other source is the Dual Mass flywheel...but you say the noise is definitely from the rear....as recommended above, tighten everything down first.

If you can't find the noise, take it to one of the fine local shops in San Diego...there are many!

When you hear hoof beats look for horses, not zebras! Note the inverse is true in Africa!
Old 11-18-2005 | 09:43 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Yes it could be a number of things loose. Pretty much check every nut you can see on the suspension. Most likely candidates are sway bar as Bob mentioned (also check the position of the end link to the shock if you have Bilstein HDs or PSS9s. They can twist and cause noise) or the upper mounts of the shocks themselves. CV joints don't clunk the way u-joints do and are a lot sturdier. It is possible it is a wheel bearing, but you do not mention any other signs of an issue when driving so this is not likely the problem.

Quick Reply: Clunk sound...Ujoint, Bearing..or Worse?