Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoother Transmission - Is That Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 03:23 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Smoother Transmission - Is That Possible?

Hi,

Over the weekend, thanks to the graceful OFE, I got to drive RUFUS. Oh man what a car.

The most obvious thing I noticed is that his transmission shifts a lot smoother than mine. It is hard to explain 'smooth'. I don't mean effort (amount of force to shift) or clutch engagement (jerkiness), but the feel and amount of resistance of the shifter travelling from gate to gate. His transmission feels 'butter' smooth. Mine is distinct and 'notchy'.

Another analogy: he is Pierce Brosnan and I am Charles Bronson.

So, besides changing transmission fluid, may be using Royal Purple, or something like that, is that a way to 'mod' the transmission and get that silky buttery smooth shifts? I have motor mount installed already.

Thanks for the education, as always.

Oh... besides the superior tranny, RUFUS is MUCH faster than my BTR. Absolutely no doubt about that. If you see him on the highway, don't even think about it. No chance whatsoever.

Steve, GREAT car you got there.

CP
Old 11-15-2005, 04:33 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Do one or both of you have the complete 3-piece RS short shift kit installed? Not only does it shorten the throw, but it also reduces some mushiness by eliminating by the factory rubber puck in the linkage. Or so they say...
Old 11-15-2005, 04:45 PM
CP
Race Director

I think both cars have the RUF SSK. Steve will have to confirm that with RUFUS.

I have NO mushiness in my shifts or any lateral play when in gear. The issue here is gate to gate shifting feel.

CP

Last edited by CP; 11-15-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:38 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

CP,

You are too kind. I REALLY enjoyed driving your car as well. Everything is just so well thought out, and those seats. OMG... your seats are amazing. I sure like your shift ****, and although requiring some considerable effort, I think I like your manual clutch over the TT power clutch. Much better feel for smoother engagement. Did I mention your cool wheels?

I'm pretty doggone sure that my car still has the stock shifter linkage. I went ahead and bought the RS short shift kit (which requires pounding out the bottom pan) to shorten the throws... but my transmission is sooo silky, I'm having second thoughts about actually installing it. My guess is that the short-shift kit adds the "notchy" feel.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:50 PM
CP
Race Director

Hi Steve,

You should have a visit from Santa today (disguised as a Fed-X employee). If nothing shows up, please let me know ASAP.

CP

Last edited by CP; 11-15-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:55 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

CP,

My wife just called a few minutes ago... a package arrived from some guy named "CP".

Thank you so much for sending that. I'm going to experiment with painting the logo black... by using one of my broken caps. Once I get the technique down, I'll paint the ones you sent me.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:11 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I drove a stock twin turbo and noticed the same thing as compared to my stock C2. Perhaps it has to do with his being based on a TT and yours on a NA.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:57 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by TrackJunke
I drove a stock twin turbo and noticed the same thing as compared to my stock C2. Perhaps it has to do with his being based on a TT and yours on a NA.
That is an interesting observation. I have not driven enough different 993s to be sure. This may be a good excuse for me to bump rides from local 993 owners.

Thanks for the tips.

CP
Old 11-15-2005, 07:24 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default All 993's are smooth to me.

I drove my 79SC back to back several times with my 993 this weekend just to compare the two cars. Just drive a 911 with a 915 transmission then hop back in your car. You'll never complain again.

After 22 years with my SC, shifting my 993 is smooth, smooth, smooth.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:15 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

CP-

Don't know exactly what you're referring to, but perhaps your shifter parts needs to be cleaned and regreased? I know when I changed out my shifter, there are a lot of moving parts down there that are heavily greased for all these parts to move smoothly. Perhaps a lighter, more slippery grease might improve the travel ease? There are also a bunch of little nylon/plastic washers used on pivot points that perhaps are worn out on your linkage?

In any case, if we have some time this weekend, you can try mine to compare.

See ya in a couple of days.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:25 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

After driving many 993's of various types, I have found them all to be a little different, but mostly with repect to brakes and clutch action. Shifting effort does vary a little from car to car, but that much different. I have noticed different shift ***** can make a difference. I say this because of the various different heights and their effect on leverage and ratios.

Next time you are near Rufus, try rowing through the gears with the engine off, car stationary and compare.

Worn syncros can be a source of dynamic effort differences..

Get some Mobil1 syn in your car, and see if this improves things. Each brand of oil will vary in that each has their own types of friction modifyers, which can relate to shift effort. Plus an oil change is a little less expensive than replacing syncros
Old 11-16-2005, 12:18 AM
CP
Race Director

Chris,

I have Mobile 1 synthetic in my tranny now. That's why I'm thinking Royal Purple. My tranny oil is about two years old, so it's time to refresh anyways. I will do the brake and clutch flush at the same time.

Boy do we miss Bob around here already.

CP
Old 11-16-2005, 12:20 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by kkim
CP-

In any case, if we have some time this weekend, you can try mine to compare.

See ya in a couple of days.
Yes Kelly, I would love to see how your beauty shifts. It's 3 more days. Can't wait.

CP
Old 11-16-2005, 12:28 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Chris,

I have Mobile 1 synthetic in my tranny now. That's why I'm thinking Royal Purple. My tranny oil is about two years old, so it's time to refresh anyways. I will do the brake and clutch flush at the same time.

Boy do we miss Bob around here already.

CP
Ooops! Misread your post My head is a little crooked from getting plowed from behind (no wise cracks, no pun on the crack part either)last night on the freeway. Nicely stiff and sore all over now, all four of us in the car
Old 11-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
all four of us in the car
In the Volvo, I hope.

Quick Reply: Smoother Transmission - Is That Possible?