Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy the Discount Tire certificates on used tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:06 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Would you buy the Discount Tire certificates on used tires?

Hi Everyone,

I took my 95 993 by Discount Tire today to have the pressure checked and for them to give me an opinion on the condition of the tires. The car is fitted with Bridgestone Potenza RE750's, 265/35 R18 93W in the rear and 225/55 88W in the front (yeah, they're 18"s, more about that next post :-)

The tires are fine and they offered to sell me the road hazard certificates for $165.00. That seemed like a great deal to me but I thought I'd pass it by you all for your opinion. I've never had 18"s before so I have no experience with them. Are they likely to be ruined by some road hazard having such a low profile? I have no idea how old these tires are or how many miles are on them. Since they were given a clean bill of health I'm keeping them.

A set of P-Zero rosso's would run about $1500.00. How do those compare to the Bridgestones? This is for future reference only as I need to avoid any slippery slopes, and P-Zero's would require new wheels so you can imagine the rest.

Thanks for your input!

Jim
Old 11-14-2005, 09:28 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems a bit high too me. A brand new 750 at tire rack it like $175, so unless you ruin more than on tire under warranty, I can't see you coming out ahead, unless you have a history of destroying tires w/ the roads around your parts. I have 18" wheels and have had no problems with damage, but I never have on any of my other cars before, either.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:11 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for top of the line tires for these cars, the Bridgestone S02a and the Michelin PS Ribs are 2 very highly regarded tires. The Pirelli seems to have a reputation of having spotty quality control. Try doing a search and see what appeals to you.

Good luck... a new set of tires makes a car feel like a million bucks.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:39 PM
zwoobah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I've destroyed 2 low-profile tires in my life due to road hazards...but I live in Boston, home of $15 billion in road construction and still the worst roads in the country. If your roads aren't bad, I wouldn't bother. I still don't buy that coverage on my cars now, I just keep a very close eye on where I'm driving.
Make sure to keep them properly inflated, and avoid potholes - especially ones with sharp edges! - and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Would you buy the Discount Tire certificates on used tires?