Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I rebuild a Florida Cert. of Destruction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 04:35 PM
bertmerv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can I rebuild a Florida Cert. of Destruction?

My 993 was flooded about half-knee high in salt water during Hurricane Wilma. Geico totaled the car. I can buy it back at salvage price and have enough net cash to rebuild the necessary electronics and mechanics. Body seems fine; we got it out in time to rinse with fresh water. I will have to live with a stripped out interior. That's OK, because it is half track/autox and half street use.
Unfortunately, they tell me that a salt water total will result in a Certificate of Destruction, only can be used for parts, form of title. From my reseach, it appears that to simply get a rebuild title, I must start with a car that has a minimum salvage/rebuildable title, not a C.O.D.
It seems I am in risk of losing a precious low mileage 993 due to a piece of paper! Does anyone have recommendations about how to resolve this situation. In 30 years of driving, this is my first auto claim, so I'm pretty naive, but learning the hard way.
For fellow So. Florida Rennlisters I'm Bob and drive the red 993 with gold BBS wheels. You may have seen me at Homestead or occasional autox's in Miami.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:06 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please don't quote me on this but I think Certificate of Destruction is only parts or sold out of the coutry.
Salvage Title I think is rebuildable. Chris
Old 11-12-2005, 08:40 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Turn it into a track only car. No need for a title IMHO.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:48 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Turn it into a track only car. No need for a title IMHO.
Ditto
Old 11-13-2005, 03:54 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

I agree with 993james993. Saltwater is poision. I have seen many nice cars come to Florida from NY that were totally rusted out and about worthless after 3 or 5 years in the Florida rain and humidity. It seems to me the latent salt left up in the cracks and crevices gets a new life when in this harsh wet state we live in. PS -I also was a victim of a C.O.D. (accident) and was only able to sell the car for parts or for export only.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:01 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I applaud your willingness to try and keep it, but as James found out you may be in for a lot of trouble. I can not even imagine chasing down all the items that may have been impacted.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
Years ago i had a car that was flooded in a similar fashion, but with freshwater. The insurance company wanted to total it but i insisted that it be repaired. Never again. I had nothing but problems from then on. I would bet that saltwater would make this ten times worse. I'd advise working to get a fair price and then finding a new car. Good luck!
Exactly my thoughts, too. Is it really worth the expense to r/r the electrics, as well as anything else that may have been sullied by the salt water? Even then, be prepared that you're going to own a nightmare car that has lots of niggling problems that you just can't solve.

Fresh water is bad enough; salt water is the devil.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:29 PM
bertmerv
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I talked to FL DMV this morning, and COD means good only for parts. Body, with original VIN, cannot be used and still get the car registered. I have one last call into insurance supervisor to see if there is any leeway to get car titled as salvageable.
The buy-back from insurance is $9679. Anyone interested in parts or a good race/track project, feel free to send a PM. I'll want some premium over the buy-back to make it worthwhile. My garage says all electronics need replacing. Rotors are gone and water got in the oil cooler. Engine tranny and body are good. Car has a little over 19k miles. I've only tracked it 5 times. PSS9's, HR sways and FVD exhaust are "probably" OK, but could be a question down the road. I'm thinking of saving the BBS race wheels, but depends on what Porsche I buy next. I don't have any pics of the car in current condition, but can get some for an interested buyer. Picture of the car in its prime is attached...hopefully... this is the first time I have tried to post a pic.
I guess I have resigned myself to losing it, since I'm already hot on the trail of a replacement.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:02 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If the engine and tranny are good, you could buy the car for that price and part it out. You could probably get your investment back with just selling the engine alone.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:26 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob, if you have the storage, parting it out will give you at least $20K+ to help you with a purchase of another one. Ebay everything. It's time consuming but it's worth it. Chris
Old 11-15-2005, 01:03 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bertmerv
Engine tranny and body are good.
If there is even the slightest chance that saltwater got into the crankcase (which is located at the lowest part of the engine) your oil pump might be useless. On the PelicanPartsBBS there are several photos of oil pumps that look like someone has dumped sulphuric acid on them (weird holes, corrosion, etc.) In every case it turned out the donor car had saltwater flood damage.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:25 AM
hotrdd911
Instructor

If you decide to purchase and part the car please drop me a PM, I'm hunting for a few parts.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:12 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like it might be ok for a track car, but probably just a parts car.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:22 PM
bertmerv
Intermediate

Thanks for everyone's interest and advice. I just sold the car to my shop. Probably not the maximum profit deal, but it was a no hassle option and netted me the extra cash I needed for my next car. I understand they have a buyer in Germany who wants to rebuild it.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:47 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good move. I'm sure it was less of a head ache to just be done with it.
Soooo....whatcha going to buy for a replacement?

Quick Reply: Can I rebuild a Florida Cert. of Destruction?