Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on M030 sport setup.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005 | 12:07 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Default Questions on M030 sport setup.

First, I've read most of the suspension threads on this site and those on the P-car site as well. I recently bought a 96 C4S that has the M030 sport suspension option. Frankly I'm surprised by how high it sits with this option and would like a lower more aggressive stance. As far as stiffness, I probably will limit track use to 10% or so of my total driving since I have another 911 already setup for tracking.

Do you think I would be satisfied just going with the M030 ROW springs in lieu of the US springs with the current shocks, or should I look at replacing both shocks and springs? How much will M030 ROW springs lower the car over the US M030 setup? The car has about 52k miles on the original shocks. Any easy way to tell if the shocks need replacement or should I just assume with this mileage, they need to go? I hate to remove perfectly good shocks but on the other hand, I don't want to do the job twice. Also, many seem to like the PSS9 setup, but it's very expensive compared with the ROW springs and HD Bilsteins. I currently have Bilstein sports on my SC and don't find the ride overly harsh. Is the PSS9 setup something I should even consider given most of my driving will be street?

Lastly, what is your current setup and height (as measured from the floor to the center of your fender)? I'm currently at 26 1/4" rear and 26 3/4" front. This seems awful high to me. Sorry for the number of questions but I'm trying to get as much info as possible before i undertake my first big mod.

thanks
Old 11-11-2005 | 12:16 AM
Dan V
Race Car

I'm about 25.25" front, 25.5" rear w/RoW and Bilstein HD's:

Old 11-11-2005 | 12:22 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Your shocks are probably toast or close. Signs are harsh ride in a straight line and difficulty holding a set after initial turn-in, especially floaty on high speed sweeepers.
Drive somebody else's with the RoW M030 package.
It will lower your car about 1".
Given 90% street and you have another 911 for the track, PSS9 is a bit of overkill.
I am at 25.75" front, 25.75 rear (both the same). Measured to fender lip.
I like the RoW sways in the package. I feel it works well with the other components. Very happy with mine.
Old 11-11-2005 | 12:25 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your fender heights seem about right for a stock US car. There is a reason why they call it 4x4 around here.

Row m030 will drop it approximately an inch. Great post on it here...https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=bilstein+m030

Yes, don't even consider keeping your present shocks... go with the HDs and never look back.

Good luck... you will love the transformation it makes in the handling of the car.
Old 11-11-2005 | 12:29 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Eibach makes very well matched lowering spring for the M030, it will bring you down an 1"-1.25"
And the ride is perfectly matched. Very inexpensive way to go then you can spend the money you saved on set up! Chris
Old 11-11-2005 | 12:49 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c993k
Eibach makes very well matched lowering spring for the M030, it will bring you down an 1"-1.25"
And the ride is perfectly matched. Very inexpensive way to go then you can spend the money you saved on set up! Chris
There have been problems with Eibach springs sagging in the past. General consensus around here is to avoid them.
Old 11-11-2005 | 12:54 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

and the RoW package is closer to stock if that matters to you.
Old 11-11-2005 | 04:25 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

i just did the suspension a few weeks ago on my car- went from normal stock to the RoW sport spring and shock set up and had the sway bars beefed up also- might as well throw in the new shocks if you're going get the car up on the lift...doing the same job more than once is going to cost at least 500 bucks in labor if you're changing suspension parts.
i decided against the pss9 because i'm just using this for some spirited canyon drives and daily here and there...and when i'm really ready for some track time i'll be able to buy a track dedicated monster instead
Old 11-11-2005 | 08:20 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I took the path you seem to be on - lowering the car with ROW 030 springs and upgrading to HD Bilstein shocks. Though is looks a bit cooler, there are times I wish I had left it at the stock height and just upgraded the shocks and sway bars.
Such as: when I park in front of a curb (that is now an inch higher than my spitters), when I try to get a jack under the car (must drive up onto 2" boards first), when I come across a pot-hole or a bump in the road way (bottoming out is no fun).

Just another view.
Old 11-11-2005 | 10:09 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

US M030 with Euro M030 springs I think is ideal street/track combo; was very happy with this setup for years. Shocks last about 50K miles; if you have over that, they could be shot. So depending on miles, go with Euro M030 springs or else US M030 shocks and Euro springs. With this setup there was a fraction (about 1/2) of an inch above the rear tires to the fender lip, as I remember (also, look at my picture icon).

Reason I say "as I remember" is that when the shocks wore out I went with a PSS9 setup. I think they are somewhat too stiff for roads that are in less than ideal conditions (which are about 90% of the roads around here in western PA).
Old 11-11-2005 | 11:02 AM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Ray:

Just curious, did you go with the bilsteins HD's or the porsche shocks?

TIA.
Old 11-11-2005 | 01:02 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Cheap set up, but not so cheap..

In a former iteration of my 993 car, I ran it with 993 M030 RoW struts and shocks (The orange/Red colord exterior which I belive to be M030 RoW) M030 R0W springs and 22mm front sway bar and a 21mm rear sway bar. The car's ride height was great and it handled well. I only replaced it because I had the opportunity to buy some used PSS9s with ERP monoballs at a great price. I track the car.

The down side is the labor....it costs a bit to tear out the old suspension and replace it with new. No worries about a corner weight/balance with the M030 set up, US or RoW, the ride height is fixed. You need to have the rear bump steer done too (aka kinematic toe)....if you are ever thinking about playing with the cars ride height, or lowering the car further for track application, you may be better off with the Bilstein HD struts and shocks with M030 RoW springs, M030 RoW front sway bar 22mm and a 993 TT rear sway bar 21mm. The other nice factory sway bar option are the 993RS adjustable for stiffness bars and drop links, 23mm front and 20mm rear. Unfortunately there pups are spendy, about $1,200 a set.

With a Carrera 4 S, you have a lot of understeer aka plowing through corners, to deal with. This can be dialed out with adjustable sway bars.

Got luck with the car...keep the shiny side up!
Old 11-11-2005 | 01:18 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Just curious, did you go with the bilsteins HD's or the porsche shocks?
The M030 setup I'm talking about is US M030 shocks, a la Porsche/Boge. Now, in the car are Bilstein PSS9 shocks/springs.
Old 11-11-2005 | 02:32 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Default Good information as usual.

I do have somewhat of a desire to keep the car stock. Given that and your input I'm leaning toward:

1) Replacing the US M030 springs with ROW M030 springs
2) At the same time replace the shocks

I'm somewhat undecided whether to go with Bilstein HD's or the Porsche M030 shocks that go with the ROW springs. I haven't seen anyone mention the use of Porsche M030 ROW shocks as an option to the HD's. Ray mentioned the use of M030 US shocks.

I'll go out tonight to see if I can tell what type shock on it now. I'll post back. Using the ROW springs to lower 1" will be better than I have now but I'd like to see more like 1 1/2" if possible.

Once I decide, I'll go ahead and order the parts. Which brings up another question; Is this a DIY job? Anyone do their own changeover? I changed the shocks on my SC but did not have to deal with springs. I've always had a fear of compressing springs from a safety standpoint, and access to the top of the rear shocks of the 993 seems challenging although I ran into the same access problems with the rears on my SC.

Dudley, I can't help much with the high curbs but have you considered a jack from AC Hydraulics. I bought one last year (pricey at around $350) but it is 4" or less in height from the tip back about 16". I can even get it under my lowered SC. My SC is at 24 1/2" from the floor to the fender.
Old 11-11-2005 | 07:17 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Is this a DIY job?
Depends on your competency. If all you've ever done is empty the ashtrays and clean the windshield, then probably not. If you've done suspension work, brake rotor replacements, oil/filter changes, etc. before on other cars, you should be able to handle it. Shock/spring removal and installation isn't all that bad, but can take time. You shouldn't need any real special tools. Make sure you have a good shop that knows these cars where you can take it afterwards for a good suspension alignment and weight balancing; that's a must. I did the M030 change and later the PSS9 change myself; when I tried to do similar shock replacement work on my Audi A4 I found it more than I could handle due to bolt/nut clearances and needs for what appeared to be special tools.

Oh yeah - and don't whine for free instructions. Go out and buy a shop manual.

Quick Reply: Questions on M030 sport setup.