Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone post a picture of a worn brake pad please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 01:32 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Can someone post a picture of a worn brake pad please?

I feel like such a noobie, but i'm a bit paranoid about my sqealing brakes. I checked the pads and they seem okay, the rotors have about a 1/16" lip so they'll be swapped out the next time I need pads, but I just can't figure out what's making my brakes squeal and I want to make sure i'm diagnosing the pads correctly.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the pads for our cars squeal. I think the factory anti-squeal things that are glued to the factory pads do a good job, but most people punt those when they change the pads and live with the squeal. I got some anti-squeal things that fit between the pads and callipers from Performance Products, but I have not put them in yet to see if they work (I doubt they will). I usually replace the pads when they get down to about 1/8".
Old 11-04-2005, 02:14 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
Most of the pads for our cars squeal. I think the factory anti-squeal things that are glued to the factory pads do a good job, but most people punt those when they change the pads and live with the squeal. I got some anti-squeal things that fit between the pads and callipers from Performance Products, but I have not put them in yet to see if they work (I doubt they will). I usually replace the pads when they get down to about 1/8".

Thanks for the input...my concern now is that it did not squeal before...started squealing like a month ago. Should I just dismiss this? I'm hoping for the best because honestly, I don't have the $$ to be spending on brakes at the moment considering I just moved and paid off my insanely expensive auto insurance.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:17 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you still have the brake pad sensors? If so, there will be a light on the dash when they are worn.

If you don't and have stock pads, I know there is a slit down the center of the pad material. Can't remember off hand which, but if you start to see or don't see the slit then your are getting to the pad's end of life.

Most would recommend you change the pad out after it's about half gone as thicker pads have better heat absorbing qualities and help brakes from fading.

Squealing is most times caused by brake dust. Try cleaning out the brake pad area thoroughly and see if it improves.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
I got some anti-squeal things that fit between the pads and callipers from Performance Products, but I have not put them in yet to see if they work (I doubt they will).
They help but are still not great.

Marc
Old 11-04-2005, 03:21 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input...i'm going to investigate more over the weekend. Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2005, 06:40 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently changed out pads and rotors and put the anti squeeeeeeeellllllll spiders from Porsche on the pads...they are very quiet....you can hear the verbial pin drop when I am braking

Quick Reply: Can someone post a picture of a worn brake pad please?