Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know what a misfire reading on all 6 cylinders means?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 09:43 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike, have you tried cleaning/adjusting the ISV? You can bump up your idle a bit and that might smooth it out for you.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:49 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt think a small glitch like a cel or computer codes would cause regrets or concerns to prompt a resell. if you have been rennlist user very long you would have noticed this is very common. i am sure some of your other cars experienced some small irregularities. one thing for sure, you shouldnt have a problem selling it though.

Last edited by faster; 11-03-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hi Adrienne,

Can you describe what "rough" is? I am getting random misfires and have a rough idle...the car does shudder. If the A/C is on the higher idle clears it up a bit but I still get a tiny bit of roughness. The current dianostics appear to be worn valve guides causing the valves not to seat well at idle...but my oil consumption, while high, does not indicated guides that are totally shot.

Cheers,

Mike
Hi Mike,
By rough, I mean this: after the car has warmed up, if I sit at idle for a minute or more, it starts to feel as if the car is moving slightly side to side as the rpm fluctuates just a bit. I can feel a slight vibration in the brake pedal, but not the clutch, engaged or disengaged. It's not major or very pronounced, it is not misfiring that I can hear. I have a "flub flub" noise out of the exhaust, but it is not constant. It will flub flub, then purr for a second, then flub flub. I just had the top end rebuilt 6k ago, so that's not what's causing my problem. The car runs great, no indications that it is an actual misfire. I am getting 7 or so codes all at once, for a misfire on each cylinder, and random misfires. I'm about 90% sure it's the DMF in my case.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:09 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I had rough idle symptoms for a while, then the CEL light, with codes that varied over time each time they were cleared. The codes read "mis-fires, SAI, O2 sensors, etc." at different times. I replaced the MAF sensor and all has been well ever since. Of course, all of the people who have read about the 10% of the 993s with SAI problems etc., immediatley said "oh man, it is the SAI and valve guide problem".....If you have already addressed the MAF, it is likely the DMF. Take the car to a couple of track events, drive it at 6,000+rpms for a few days, then report back.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Flywheel reference sensor?
Chris,
Very good possibility.
Good news on the SAI sounds like, make sure to have them run the air pumps when they do the code searches.

Liked Pearce European in Santa Cruz btw, they did great work on my 993 for me.

Best of luck,
Glen
Old 11-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Just reporting back here, as a high mileage data point. My CEL came back on today. As I said last week, I had done my crazy armchair mechanic method of leaving the AC on, to bump up the idle. That kept my car idling very smoothly, with the CEL remaining off. I turned my AC off last Thursday, at which time my car started idling roughly again, and on Monday the CEL came back on.

Apparently my misfire codes are related to the rough idle, which I have tracked back to the DMF going out. My car idles rough only when the AC is off, and the CEL always illuminates at idle. We have fixed everything but the DMF at this point. That includes the ISV, MAF, plugs, wires, belts.

I sure hope Santa thinks of me and leaves that LWF under the tree! FYI - My car runs great, clutch seems fine. The only symptoms of a problem are the rough idle and occasional noisy shut-down.

Quick Reply: Anyone know what a misfire reading on all 6 cylinders means?