Sponsored by:

a/c removal details

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:11 PM
kmatts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c removal details

Hey All, sorry if this has been covered in detail, but i searched the archives and couldn't find anything. I have always planned on removing the AC on my 95 993, and i think this winter i will move forward with those plans.
has anyone done this? any advice or details would be appreciated.
just trying to put the car on a little Jenny Crank diet

Kyle.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done it on a 964 wich is nearly identical. I think it saved about 60 lbs. If you live where it gets hot, I would not do it for a street or dual use car as it doesn't seem to be worth it (to me). I did it for a track only car.

Have a shop remove the Freon from the system as your first step.

Remove the compressor and pipes from the engine compartment. Then remove the wheel well liners from the left side of the car and the left side rocker panel to remove the hoses from there. Remove the front bumper to easily remove the evatorater, fan and stuff. To get it all out you will need to remove the windshield wiper fluid bits (and replace them when done). To truely remove it all you would need to remove the gas tank and take out the parts behind it. I have not done that yet.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
kmatts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much Tom. I live in Seattle, i've never used the AC before. My old SC has it, not sure i have ever even turned it on either! i'm really unfamilar with AC system, can any shop remove the freon? I have a fuel cell for my car that has not been installed, so perhaps this is a good time to tackle both projects. thanks very much for the information!
Kyle.

Quick Reply: a/c removal details