Sponsored by:

paint matching questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 08:20 PM
josephla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint matching questions

Got out of work tonite and some a-hole backed into my 993 scuffing the paint off of the left rear corner, no note or anything. If you guys remember I had that issue this summer with the paint on my left rear quarter not being matched corrrectly to my door. the way that I settled that issue was that i took back $1000 of the body repair money and agreed to part ways with the previous body shop. (I would never let them touch my car again!) So now it seems like a good time to have the quarter taken care of as well as the corner of the bumper. My car is gaurds red and does not have a clearcoat what questions should i be asking so i know that the next body shop will match the color better? Should they be blending into the exisisting paint. There is no damage to the bumper other than the paint , so basically i am looking at spotting the bumper, repainting the quarter and possibly blending into the door what should this cost?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no idea where you are located, but there is one question that is important to me....where is the shop that paints all of the high-end/concours cars in your area. Ask other owners in the area, dealers of high-end used marques, etc.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:25 PM
josephla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a few names in the area, I am in staten island ny so anywhere in nothern jersey or long island is great. I would take any other suggestions, i just want to know what is required for a proper job to be done.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the past, there is no other color than "non" metallic schwarz and some whites that you can actually panel paint which is probably what they did. you can get away with it on a bumper,hood or trunk. typically to get it to look correctly or not as noticeble down a long panel such as the sides of the car the paint needs blended into the doors depending on where and how large the damage and repair is. matching paint is a skill and art form, as you can imagine all paints fade differntly and the metallics all lay different when sprayed.

my suggestion is to ask around town to see who does the body / paint work on the high end cars such as mercedes, bmw and other high end cars. its not so much the application of paints or prep and body work are done any different any other cars, the technique is pretty much the same by any highly "QUALIFIED" paint tech. its usually the owners of the higher end cars are picky as hell and the word gets out just like a great repair shop.

one thing i would recommend, asking if they have a down draft spray booth. my bud has a heated down draft booth and his painter lays on some paint that literally wouldnt need buffing, the finish is dirt free and the paint seems to flow out much nicer. my speculation is if they have a great reputation of doing the big cars they have the high end equipment to get er done. "my 2 cents worth of course" email me if you want to call him with some questions

Quick Reply: paint matching questions