Sponsored by:

Rubber strip around windshield - Won't stay on properly

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 03:17 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rubber strip around windshield - Won't stay on properly

Chronically this has refused to stay in place on my car. I have seen this problem on many other 911. My buddies 04 GT3 has the same issue. On my other car ("the worker" '89 535i) I have used a black silicon around the rear window and it worked great. Is it ok to use this on the 993?

thanks.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you mean the black finisher around the rear window? This usually becomes detached around the bottom corners of the screen. I used a drop of superglue on the rubber and pushed it into place. This was about a year ago and it hasn't popped out since.

I'm not sure what you call superglue in the USA. One drop is all you need, bonds in seconds and can stick your fingers together. You know the stuff.

pp
Old 10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

My finisher strip dips in at outside edge of the lower passenger side corner on the rear window. Is that what you mean? Can you post a pic?

Last edited by Jastx; 10-17-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:49 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am refering to the black weather stripping around the windshield (the top part).
Old 10-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my rubber windshield strip on my front windshield.The old one was making "creaking" sounds and I was afraid that if I removed it, it would rip and it did because some jackass siliconed one section to the bottom of the windshield frame. I used a product called "Mighty Lube" to install the new one (the new rubber trim is very inexpensive from the dealer by the way, I think it was $40 Canadian). The Mighty Lube is what the dealer uses because it sprays very wet and slippery and when it dries, it remains tacky as a waterproof lubricant. No more creaking sound but a big mess to clean up since that lube is fairly sticky. This was a 15 minute DIY for me with no tools.

To answer your question about your rubber, they shrink over time and lose their grip inside the trim frame along the edge of the windshield.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:50 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pickled Piper
Do you mean the black finisher around the rear window? This usually becomes detached around the bottom corners of the screen. I used a drop of superglue on the rubber and pushed it into place. This was about a year ago and it hasn't popped out since.

I'm not sure what you call superglue in the USA. One drop is all you need, bonds in seconds and can stick your fingers together. You know the stuff.

pp

Super Glue is "cyanoacrylate"
Old 10-29-2005, 06:46 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Alon
it did because some jackass siliconed one section to the bottom of the windshield frame.
The proper windshield repair procedure from Porsche is to cut out the old seal, clean and prime the area and then use a two-part urethane adhesive (000-043-203-42) around the entire perimeter/aperature of the windshield not just the bottom. If bodyshops followed the proper repair procedure I think 99% of 964/993s with windshield rust wouldn't have any! Unfortunately too many of us blindly (and mistakenly) trusted the dealers and body shops to do the right thing.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Jason, have you got any info that might help me. I am installing a factory 3rd brake light on a '95 the wires are run and the next step is to remove the upper outer window seal. Does it just pull away? I've looked at the pcar info and there is no detailed advice on this issue.

Any help or advise is appreciated!
Old 10-29-2005, 05:19 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Bill,
Have you looked at TSB 9603 "Roof Mounted Third Brake Light - Service Installation" and the related section of volume 5 of the 993 workshop manuals starting on page 66-23? According to the workshop manuals the outer window seal is pressed into place and the removal instructions are, "pull outer cover strip at top of rear window." Anytime it says to cut a seal it gives you the part number for the correct Porsche cutting tool and I couldn't find anything listed. I haven't done it myself so I can't offer much more other than to send you the instructrions if you don't have them, sorry.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

the related section of volume 5 of the 993 workshop manuals starting on page 66-23? According to the workshop manuals the outer window seal is pressed into place and the removal instructions are, "pull outer cover strip at top of rear window."
Yes, that's what I have been looking at, if you have the tsb that would be great, I haven't sen it.

I'll pm you w/ my e-mail if that's ok w/ you

Quick Reply: Rubber strip around windshield - Won't stay on properly