LED Key light conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 05:40 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LED Key light conversion

I have converted my key (the p-car.com diy instructions) to a LED. I followed the instructions to the letter (I think), bought the right LED from Radio Shack, etc. However, it will not light.

Step 1 of the instructions say: "First open your key and remove the battery, copper divider, foam cushion and old light." The copper divider is never mentioned again in the instructions and is not in any of the pictures that I can tell. Therefore, I have not used the copper divider. It is a rectangular strip of copper about 1.5 cm long. Should I have used this with the LED set up? Is this perhaps my problem?

Thanks in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated,
chuck
Old 10-16-2005, 06:30 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I converted my keyhead to LED right after I got the car - one of my first mods. It worked for about a month then quit - that was 2 years ago. I don't recall off the top of my head whether or not I used the copper strip. If I get the chance, I'll take mine apart and let you know what I find.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:01 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck
The copper divider is NOT used.

Most likely your problem is reversed polarity. LED bulbs have polarity, i.e. a “+” and a “-“ wire. Your LED may have a flat side, a shorter wire or other indication of the “+” wire. If you’re not sure, try it both ways before assembly to determine which wire goes to the “+” side of the battery. When reversed there will be no light.

If you send me your email address, I'll send you my DIY conversion instructions which I think are a bit clearer. Properly done, it should work reliably until the batteries die.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:31 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gordo and Dan-thank you guys. A brighter light for this application will really help.
I hope you both had a great weekend. Dan, I sent you a PM with my email id.

Thanks again and take care,
chuck
Old 10-17-2005, 10:54 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by csertich
Dan, I sent you a PM with my email id.
Back at ya.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:55 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gordo993
I converted my keyhead to LED right after I got the car - one of my first mods. It worked for about a month then quit - that was 2 years ago. I don't recall off the top of my head whether or not I used the copper strip. If I get the chance, I'll take mine apart and let you know what I find.
LOL, this was EXACTLY my experience. One month of nice bright light then nada. At $10 for a new pair of batteries, I just forgot about the whole thing...
Old 10-17-2005, 02:08 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Csertich- Dan is completely correct about the LED has +/- polarity. I ran into that problem when I did mine. I used a Blue LED Bulb, changed it over at the beginning of the year, and it's still nice an bright.
Attached Images    
Old 10-17-2005, 04:35 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
One month of nice bright light then nada. At $10 for a new pair of batteries, I just forgot about the whole thing...
Eric
You should sue your technician, or at least never again trust him w/such a complex task. For just my hourly billing rate plus airfare, cab fare, hotel & meals I'll fly up & set you up w/a proper LED conversion w/a one (1) year warranty.

OTOH, if you mail me the keyhead, I'll provide the labor, a brighter LED, batteries & return postage, all at no charge.

Mine has been going strong for at least a year w/the orig batteries. I use it frequently - mostly to read restaurant menus w/my aging eyes.

Last edited by STLPCA; 07-23-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just did this job and I think the instructions have the polarity reversed. On both my LED's the long pole goes on the battery and the short one around the copper tab.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the instructions are correct. I might have to open one back up if people keep saying the polarity is wrong the way I wrote it. It does work for all of mine and others though.

1. Were the batteries placed correctly in the key?
2. Was the pole piece ACTUALLY on the battery. That is the hardest part. Once it is ontop of the batteries, and STAYS once closed, it works forever. It's just a bit of a pain to keep the alignment straight while closing the key up.

If you are saying it quit on you, maybe the pole fell off the battery. It has to be on there well to stay through use, etc... If it was a bit too close to the edge of the battery or something, you may have knocked it off.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both my keys did not work until I reversed the polarity. I had no problem crimping the pole around the copper tab and getting the other to stay on the battery. Bot worked fine as soon as I reversed the polarity. I'd be surprised if I just happened to grab the only two LED's out of the box that had the long and short poles in reversed polarity.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:23 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

If the LED is wired backwards, just turn over the battery (if there is room to do so).
Old 11-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Thats interesting! Do they wire LEDs backwards? My whole batch of LEDs that I bought work as the directions stated!

Oh well! Its good to be aware that happens! The LED keys are really useful!
Old 08-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Greg Z
Instructor

I just did this mod and it would not work. I was about to flip the led but instead I flipped the batteries where the negative was up and now its works fine. To work properly the first time, you must wrap the short wire around the digamajigi, long wire on top of the battery and the batteries positive up. Hopes this helps someone.

Quick Reply: LED Key light conversion